Stupid fill plug.....

Jimbuick

Just recently bought myself an 87 GN with G80 diff and decided it would be a good idea to change the fluids this weekend.

Oil, Trans, Diff.

Everything was going pretty well, got the gaskets all replaced and put back together when I found I couldn't get that stupid fill plug out of the differential.

Looks like a previous owner rounded out the square hole, so now the extension just rolls out.

Running out of ideas, short of drilling it out. Don't have any welding skills (or equipment) so that's out.

Thinking about using JB Weld to epoxy a nut to the top of the plug (or around it maybe?) and then trying the wrench again, maybe that would work? Or using the epoxy to glue the 3/8" extension inside of the square hole and trying the ratchet?

Idk, don't really want to drill it out if I can help it.....

Weld a cheap 3/8 drive extension to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue. I bought an extractor set, drilled the appropriate hole, hammered it in, and then spun the plug out. I replaced the plug with one of those dorman plugs with the protruding square end on it.

Well, thanks for the responses.

Guess I'll have to go to the hardware store this week and get that extractor set and give it another go.

I assume you guys are putting something on the other side of the plug (inside the differential) to catch any metal shavings, right? Or just trying really hard not to drill too far into the plug?

Useing a very large drift , like a big bolt or round stock or something , hit the plug solidly to flaten it back into shape .the metel got smeared outward as the hole became striped . pounding it back in will tighten the hole back up for your extension . it allso compresses the threads to release tension on them. Grind the butt of your extension flush if it dosnt drive in deep enough . hit it hard and it will come right out .

the aluminum girdle covers have a fill and drain built into them. before spending money on tools that you may never use again, i would just get one of them