Stupid car show comments part 2

Had a guy try to convince me he was selling GNX number 47 out of 50 one day. It had a dealer installed 5 speed manual from an F body. He had refined the story pretty well with SOME accurate info. I acted pretty serious about buying it and wanted to go see it (because you never really know what some people have rotting in their garages) but he got defensive and said it was not cleaned up enough yet and blahblahblah. Then he moved on to talk about the rest of his "collection". You could tell he was full of $#!+ but he did have some TR knowledge.

I get a kick out of the people who act like the GN is the pinnacle of automotive engineering and the holy grail of collector cars. I was leaving a venue on the power tour this year, and out of this group of guys on the corner a guy spins arouns and yells "WHOOOO THAT'S A GRRAAAAAAAAAND NATIONAL! THAT'S THE BADDEST MOTHER****ING CAR HERE!" As if the high end cars in front of the sponsor tents and the other 2000 cars were all crap compared to my car. At a small local show I idled by a group of lawn chair spectators and one of them stares it down and finally says "Oh wow that's a real one". I didn't know we had a bunch of GN clones running around this area but apparently we do. I suppose it's better than the monte comments though.

when i first got my car had a guy pull next to me in a newer hemi charger and say, nice ride. the last true muscle car gm built. was kinda cool

I've heard them all too...'nice Monte' is the most common, and I've also heard "too bad that's not a Monte SS, those are really fast and/or super rare!' :mad: I like to say to the the 'only a V-6?' crowd, 'yeah, but I get great MPG with the six. ':biggrin:

I also have heard a few times: 'No way that is a real GN, those are SUPER rare', and also 'too bad it's not a T-type, those are even MORE rare.' :tongue:

The best was my wife when I towed it home...'you paid HOW MUCH for a beat up old Buick that doesn't run?" ;) 'But honey, it's SUPER RARE' (too bad it's not a SS though :tongue: )

I use that when people ask, "How fast is it?" I always tell them "I don't know, it runs out of speedometer at 85.":biggrin:

I like when people ask "Is it fast?". I always say "Compared to what?". The inevitable reply is "A Corvette", to which I simply reply "yes".

I finally got out to a cruise night last night. My car has been without an engine since March so it was nice to get out. It's the usual gathering of hot rods and old timers so the GN doesn't get much attention. My brother told me that there were 2 stock GNs there last week so I thought I'd swing by there.

I got the usual comments, nothing that I would call particularly stupid. One guy called his buddy from his cell phone to tell him all about it. Another guy took pics of the engine. It's funny because to me, and among the people here on this board, there isn't really anything very special about the car.

The most interesting comment I overheard was between a father and his daughter. I installed FAST over the weekend and am waiting on some Casper's parts to finish the job. So, it looks like the wiring harnes vomited all over the passenger side footwell. Lots of wires, Casper's interface module, and the red FAST box sitting on the floor. The daughter says "ew - look at all those wires, daddy! What's that for.". He said "oh, he's not finished wiring that up yet - it's for his stereo system". I guess that's a logical assumption.

Anyway, it was pretty lonely by the GN for the most part so I packed up around dusk (where a black car looks particularly sinister) and left. As I was driving through the crowd I heard a kid point and say to their dad, "Now THAT is a nice car". Felt good. All the frustration of owning the car is erased - temporarily - by a little, random comment like that.

Jim