stripped water pump thread on block ????

turbo john FL

ITS ONLY A SIX SHOOTER
guys question is I have a stripped upper right hand side water pump bolt , not the long one the one on yhe upper right side that goes into block can I tap it or will metal shavings end up in motor thanks for any input in advance john

Put some grease on the tap before using it, some pieces of metal shavings may get into the
water jackets, but not into the oil, and shouldn't cause any problems.

If it's stripped, the tap won't have anything to bite. Unless you mean a heli-coil tap.

And what dartguy said, any chips that make their way into the engine will be in the water jacket so it won't matter. They'll just lay in the bottom and mind their own business.

ok so the bolt on tha part of the pump is in a water jacket not the open block where the piece would end up in oil ??? just had motor rebuilt so a little skidish about it are any of the mounting bolts in the open part of block where the metal shavings could get in oil

If you're talking about the "ear" on the cover that is the highest bolt on the timing cover that's not a waterpump bolt, then yes, you'll hit nothing but water.

If fact, just to verify and put your mind at ease, pour water in the radiator and when comes out that hole, you'll know you've hit green gold, martian tea.... :D

You still havent stated what your tapping it for? If your gonna insert a coil, its gonna be a pain in the ass because that wall is very thin and your gonna have to use some thread lock to hold the coil in place or it just might screw itself right thru when you start a bolt into it. You must pull the front cover so you can repair it correctly and see that the coil stayed where you want it. Post a pick of the hole so I can look on my mock up engine and tell you more.