Street Racer Questions

Buicks, no matter what year, have always been good at one thing, and that's going fast in a straight line. '86-'87 Turbo Regals are best from a standing start when you do the right suspension mods. These are not roll race style cars, and trying to make one handle corners is going backwards if you want the car to seriously hook at the drag strip. You can't have both. If you want both, then you need to purchase either a Mitsubishi Evolution, or a Subaru WRX/STi. Or at least a turbocharged AWD car that handles like a go cart.

GNs, Ts and T-Types are the last true Musclecars, and in my opinion, roll racing is not what they were built for. Basically, it's a bandaid for cars that can't handle racing from a standing start. You don't get a standing start at the drag strip do you? With the reputation that the Buicks have for being so dominate from a dig, it really turns the competition off from wanting to race from a standing start, especially cars with IRS or Independent Rear Suspensions, or that have a weak factory rear end. (Cobras, Vettes, and F-bodies) Sure you could race someone from a roll, but if you do, make sure you at least leave on boost, vs just simply punching it. You have to make up your mind what type of racing that you want too do. Do I want to drag race? Do I want to street race? Or do I want to roll race?

You will setup your cars suspension the exact same way with drag or street racing from a dead stop, not so with roll racing where you might encounter a curve at speed, which in a drag race prepped Turbo Regal could get very dangerous and is not recommended. Never give your money to a stranger you don't know at a street race, this is the whole reason why you hand your money to a neutral person that both drivers know and trust. IMHO, don't go to a street race alone, or to one that you don't know anyone. That's the quickest way to get jacked. It's all about knowing your surroundings.
Just becareful, don't race on the highway, IOW, no roll racing. Either out in the sticks at a controlled environment well away from the public, or save it for the drag strip on street car night. Ask around, as I'm sure there are quiet a few other Turbo Buick owners who know where to go in your area, or who could show you the ropes. I know, in my neck of the woods, there are a lot of guys who street race Turbo Buicks. And I'm sure it would only be an email away from hooking up with those guys and having some fun. But up here, if you're gonna be a bear, you better be a Grizzly, cause if not, you don't stand a chance. The locals up here roll hard.

Anywho, do your homework, don't just jump right in head first, and always know, that no matter what, there will always be someone who is faster. The old saying still remains true, "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?"
Just be careful out there and use common sense.

In my hometown the Sheriff's dept. has CRACKED down on street racing. They have got an undercover in and are going and arresting people and taking cars weeks or months AFTER A RACE:eek: They shall not get one of the buicks, TRACK ONLY FOR ME!

Good luck if you do run in the street, make your buick brothers proud;)

Ive done some sandbagging myself in the past and wound up winning a few extra races for some small $ in the past by bypassing my brake lights. You dont want the other racers/potential racers to know how much braking you are doing, especially up top. A lot of times i would ride the brakes hard in 3rd since i was a couple cars ahead minimum to reduce the gap in hopes of getting more races with slightly quicker cars. Then i would beat on them the same way with less braking. Its best to hang around for a few weeks without bringing your car around and listen too and talk about the cars in the area. Even watch some races to see whats going on. Dont get caught watching, it almost as bad as racing in most states. Try to practice in a good hooking spot and even selcest the best lane. Only agree to race from that spot and lane. Fwiw ive seen a lot of high hp drag radialed turbo cars beat slicked cars on the street. Look for electronic closed loop wastegate controllers if your racing really fast guys on the street. Those things will make a crazy car really driveable out of the hole without much wheelspin. If there are too many people around dont race. Theres no need to have 100 people watching. Its more dangerous and draws too much attention. If the police have helicopters in your area i wouldnt street race there at all. Lastly i would use a G-tech at all times when testing and racing to know precisely where you are and use it to guage the other racers performance vs. yours.

SGRIM made me think....For any of you central FLA area guys I saw 2, that's TWO, new silver Mustang undercover cars on the 417 today. Look out......

Why do cops feel the need to go after street racing?

This isn't serious like drug dealing and the like that goes on throughout the cities unchecked (In some cases).

I think that's a waste of state money to put into something like that.

you forgot to tell about 2 very important aspects of street racing .the 2 plus hours of B.S. before the race. and all the excuses after the race.you jumped,i was spinning,i wasn't ready. my bottle was empty,car wasn't running right etc......

Why do cops feel the need to go after street racing?

Why do cops feel the need to go after speeders?

Why do cops feel the need to go after people who trespass?

Why do you even want to risk your car, your life, others life in a street race?

This isnt a Mustang, or Honda board. There arent many cars here that are street racing, in big groups like your describing. Or even go and do it.

Ive done one organized street race, it was with a guy that I knew, who wanted to race me to see how his Cobra would do, since he knew what I ran and figured he was pretty close. I lost, but his car is fast and nice. I was on street tires (not my MT ET streets) to his Nitto 555R's I couldnt build boost at the line, but either way, we didnt do it in a spot where 30 people were, and money wasnt exchanged. It was a 'i wanna see how i do against you' race. When he goes to the track, then we'll see whos car is faster.

I say, leave the racing for the track!!!! ****, if all I know when i raced, someone could have pulled out and we could have hit them. We took the risk and i dont go out and street race or plan to do it very much.

Sorry, but come on, why do you even want to decide to street race it? Beating on the car constantly, will take a toll on the car. Especially if this is your first GN, and you go out and race it, without making sure everything is fine. More then likey, it'll take you a while to get used to the car to even get a hold on launching the car.

Some of you may not agree with my post, but i dont believe street racing a GN is a good idea. Let alone, doing it at all.

Why even get caught up with them idiots who risk a lot? You may end up getting caught, and losing what you're not ready to give up.

-Adam

we race on the the 2 lane highways around here.we get a couple cars that block traffic and it is obviously late at night. the nearest track is over 100 miles away and about 2 hours so what choice do we have?we just try to do it as safe as possible.even if there was a track i'm sure people would still street race.

If you got roads blocked to protect innocent drivers that makes it a little better... The other thing that scares me, I have seen this, your oppenet gets in a wreck and dies-guess who goes to jail:eek:

my advice is

never go alone

never raise the hood

never leave your car unattended

and if you are going to bet money,especially large sums....make sure you have some heat on hand to keep sore losers in check.

heat meaning some kind of pistol,I preferred my pistol gripped sawed off 12 ga.

also if you bet and lose,just pay up and avoid drama.

pay attention on the way home and never go the same way twice,I know a few guys who have woke up the next morning with an empty driveway after winning all night.

I also know a guy who was forced to give his 10 sec camaro up at gunpoint before he ever made it home.

Long story short,if you don't have it in you to handle up if the poop hits the fan....don't go at all.

my advice is

never go alone

never raise the hood

and if you are going to bet money,especially large sums....make sure you have some heat on hand to keep sore losers in check.

pay attention on the way home and never go the same way twice,I know a few guys who have woke up the next morning with an empty driveway after winning all night.

I also know a guy who was forced to give his 10 sec camaro up at gunpoint before he ever made it home.

Long story short,if you don't have it in you to handle up if the poop hits the fan....don't go at all.

This is the best and all the advice you will ever need..remember it is street racing....

I am sorry but I have to say....Saladin, are you a cop??

Jus wondern...I find it interesting that someone would actually ask questions such as the one that you are asking....

If you aren't excuse me....;)

Little late here. I don't know about other states but Virginia can take your car for good if you get caught. When I used to race more I had my cars registered in my dads or my womens name to get around that. I rarely street race anymore and if I do it is spontanious and over pretty quick. A few months ago there was a big bust locally and something like 80 people were cited for trespassing on government property, among other things. Way worse that a drag racing ticket. Import boy was getting ready to race when he "realized" he needed another NOS bottle and soon after he disappeared the fuzz shows up.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess that's probably the best advice-realize you can get in a lot of trouble and possibly lose your car if you get caught. That said, I used to love street racing. The track is only good for a time slip imo. And sverble can tell you, the majority of street racing we did was at least a couple miles out of town. Our favorite spot was 13 miles out of town where the road ends at a river. We had 60ft, 1/8, and 1/4 marked off with PLENTY of runout room. Also, we tried not to piss off the people that lived out there. As long as we raced during daylight, they were cool with it and often came out and watched!

My advice would be not to street race... Just to much risk involve in it. You can crash your car, you can kill some one ( i know its abit extreem), you can get your car impounded and get a ticket. Not only that, but depending on who you racing, they might be the type of person that hates losing and wont give up the money. Ive seen it all. Fights, lots of BS , excuses, and cheating. If you can, keep it on the track. All of us can give you and idea or draw you a picture in what to do or what to expect. But really you just have to live it. For me, just not worth it. Once you are consider in being "FAST", no one want to race you. An when you get a race, its just really for some chump change.... Stay of the streets and keep it on the track, where it is safer , the compitition is better, and there is no BS or excuses... the clock never lie's........

my advice is

never go alone

never raise the hood

All good info. The best being there is strength in numbers. Never go alone. We used to go as a group and set up some races amongst ourself to set up the faster car as the slower one to get people interested in racing it.

Do they still race in garland near the Quaker Plant or has the traffic gotten too much? Those were great streets, all concrete and flat/straight. Probably a lot of businesses there now. I know Farmers Branch where 161 bridge got on 635 was a great hooking spot. And down on Manana before the speed bumps were installed. And down south near the Sewell Buick on the service road. The good old days!

That said take it to the track! Much safer. No street racing for me as I couldn;t afford to lose my CDL.

Racing for a time slip is fun, but there is nothing like beating someone on the street who thinks they are faster then you.