strange buzzing sound

whitecobra98

when i fire up the gn i get a loud buzzing sound (coming from the behind the speedo area), it goes on for quite a bit...i think i know what it is, just looking for another opinion

Any chance it's the buzzer telling you to put on the seatbelt?

I yanked mine out so many years ago I can't even remember where it was hidden under the dash.

my guess is the powermaster also..never heard it that loud and running for that long....being winter I dont drive it that often but would that cause it?

Open the hood when you hear it and listen in that area. That would tell you whether or not it's the powermaster.

If she runs for more than 10 seconds or so amd if she runs just about eaxh time you hit brakes it maybe your accumulator ball or maybe pump bearings going south

But if running long time i bet ball

Is pedal soft?

Joel

How long does it run for?

And to poster's question above me does the powermaster sound like the buzzz?

gonna pop the hood before i start it this time (sometimes it requires several well-placed punches to decide to open) trying to remember if it only runs when my foot is on the brake

The buzz sound u heard most likely is the pump cycling try to charge the accumulator ball , if its not holding charge n the pump motor comes on every 1-2 times u step on break replace the accumulator ball if that dose not fix it then u might even have a leaking proportioning valve in ur master cylinder the most important thing is to keep ur break fluid clean it should be clear not contaminated for ur PM system to last a long time .

gonna try with key off, and ill check condition of fluid...powermaster is a reman with prob 5000 miles on it..if fluid is not clear, i will change it..thanks for all the help