stopped shifting

Tony87gn

Did a nice burnout last night get into the car this morning and now the transmission wont shift at all. I can shift it to second maunally but after that it wont shift to third manually or by itself. Do I need a new tranny or is there some things I can check?

Have you tried running it up in rpm and then letting off the gas to see if it shifts then? If it does you may have had your governor spring pop out. If it did, it would more than likely be in the bottom of your pan. Try to see if the running it up and letting off of the gas and see if it shifts first. Then get further into it if needed.

I have driven it and the RPM's get up to about 4000 after letting off it still dosen't shift. What would be my best bet just buyiung a rebuild kit online and then taking it somewhere to get it rebuilt? I was looking at the kit by CK performance for 349, the stage 2 one. How is that kit?

Ok took it for a ride today and it now shifts normally :confused: Could it just have been excessive heat? I might still want a rebuild but dont know the best path to take.

Try changing the fluid. You might find chunks in the pan. I had that in my truck. If the tranny was real hot like from towing, everytime it went down a gear, it wouldn't upshift. Once it cooled, it was fine. When I dropped the pan, it had all kinds of scrap metal in it. That junk must have been clogging up some of the valves or something. When I had it rebuilt, the drum was all scored, and a couple of other pieces were pretty hacked up.

I will change the fluid just to see if there are some chunks in it, it was changed 1000 miles ago.