Stock Throttle Body

Pittsburghkid

Displacement Replacement.
So after stripping the threads on the throttle shaft I bought a used throttle body and just used the best parts from both. I relubed the seals, painted housing, and loctite'd the throttle blade screws back in. While apart i removed half the throttle shaft for more air flow until I have the money for a bigger Throttle Body. I sure hope you don't tell me the shaft is going to snap and i'm going to suck raw metal into my engine or something to that effect. The throttle opens and closes nicely now where as before it would kinda stick. I cleaned out alot of build up inside also.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this to a stock TB and what your experiences were. Also I don't know which IAC to reuse as they both worked but one seems to have a longer pin with with appears to be a more sprung spring than the other so I don't know why one is different than the other. Thanks

0124120540.jpg
0124120542.jpg
0124120546.jpg

Nice job. Back in the day we would grind down the cross-section of the shaft and use recesssed screws.

If they both work fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.As far as the different lenghts go it might be each IAC was "parked" in different position due to the engine's air idle requiements at that moment before the engine was turned off and they were removed. The different springs I really don't know...unless one is factory and the other aftermarket possilby?

Looks good. How did you lock the threads of the screws in? IIRC they are "slashed" on the threads as a means to lock them in (or stake them) but that wears off when you take it apart. Did you use loctite or something to make sure they were secure? If not, you might just to be safe before putting it back on the car.

If they both work fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.As far as the different lenghts go it might be each IAC was "parked" in different position due to the engine's air idle requiements at that moment before the engine was turned off and they were removed. The different springs I really don't know...unless one is factory and the other aftermarket possilby?

Ya, it was really the different spring that got me curious. They both have the same markings so they're either both stock of both aftermarket but i'll just go with the one that seems to move a little more freely.

I relubed the seals, painted housing, and loctite'd the throttle blade screws back in

Looks good. How did you lock the threads of the screws in? IIRC they are "slashed" on the threads as a means to lock them in (or stake them) but that wears off when you take it apart. Did you use loctite or something to make sure they were secure? If not, you might just to be safe before putting it back on the car.

Thanks for the heads up although I looked at the leftover screws for the other TB shaft and they aren't "slashed". They're just regular machine screws and do have a washer, (dont know the type, but its the kind with a smooth outer edge and "geared" looking inside edge, but they're not lock washers. I dont know how they locked them in from the factory although that washer may be it but the loctite should do it.

Oops, totally read right past that you loctite'd them. You should be good to go. Again, nice work.

Unless your engine is revving usefully over 5800 there is nothing there with an altered or larger throttle body.

Unless your engine is revving usefully over 5800 there is nothing there with an altered or larger throttle body.

Ya i know you don't really see the benefits until your going 10.00 or better but i just figured since it was off and apart it couldn't hurt. Or could it?

I can't tell if you've already done it, but I would spend a little time and bellmouth the front edge of the throttle body, too.