Stock is tired "and slow" where to start.

Phase 1

Well its been a while so i thought i would do an update.
Over the last month i have been collecting parts and got to putting them on last week. Test pipe, 42#inj with TT chip, acufab regulator, adj waist gate, hot wire and ceramic breaks.
Well we're getting some where now. The pipe made the cat back exhaust finally sound like a real exhaust, and the cat was full of rubble that is where the dam rattling was from. it spools noticably faster too.
I saved the chip and inj for last and OMG hats off to Eric what a product!! I have put a chip in every car i have owned and never has one had such and impact or such a strong tune. and that's second hand. The idle is silk and it has never ran this smooth through all rpm. Again hats off.

Get the scanmaster! You need to be able to monitor whats going on and make sure everything is in order so you don't kill your engine. BTW the best money I ever spent was no money. It was meeting some local TB owners and having them help me out. If you're a little lost post a help please in you region. i am sure someone lives close to you that would give you a hand.

scan master... or start saving for a new engine. You WILL blow it up eventually unless you know what the car is doing... this is not an SBC, these are picky, fragile, turbocharged engines that will completely and utterly self destruct unless properly monitored.

Ok maybe that was slightly dramatic... but seriously get a scan master. You're not vette fast yet, but if you do it right the first time it's a lot of fun learning these cars.

Also second thing you NEED: fuel pump hot wire... preferably a complete wiring kit from alternator to fuel pump... and if you gotta drop the tank you might as well put a good fuel pump in there... it sounds like a pain until you're looking at pulling an engine and a fuel tank. Gotta have fuel.

I was out yesterday in my stock 86 GN, showing some high school kids daddy's s2000 isn't all that. A few miles down the road I'm the kid, against '10 Corvette Grand Sport. Usually doesn't bother me, losing to a faster car, but i have had it :mad:. My question is where to put my money first?(after scanmaster) My target is 350-450hp on 1k-2k$ with looking reasonably stock under the hood. can this be done? on a stock trans & rear end? Or what can 1k-2k get me as far as hp. ( I have a need, a need for speed)

without going into the motor I would run a strecth intercooler,60lb injectors,razor alky kit,turbo range(te44 to pt67),and a 9.5" 3200 stall converter,a good xp pump, hotwire kit,new set of valve springs/timing chain and scan master for tuning..This combo should put you in the mid 11 second range..hth

Well hit a speed bump. Make that 2.

The bump being my woman's Cadillac Catera. She told me it over heated "once" for a "little bit". HAHA! bad water pump and rotted out oil cooler (which was in the intake??) changed, just to find more foamy oil. Now according to the leak down 2 blown head gaskets and god knows what else when i get in there.

Oh yea i lost my job...:mad:

Back to the car. A power logger was suppose to be a part of the upgrades. Thought my old man was getting it for my b-day so i didn't grab one. But he got all the glass for my blazer oh darn.

I think i am going to go with a power logger. My question is why would one buy the scan master first if at all. Not downing it i just don't understand. The scan rate is slower and it does not record. They are the same price. What am i missing.

Powerlogger will require a laptop also. It can require about $300 worth of additional parts if you want to make it tuneable as opposed to just recording data. That said the PL will give you much more info, just requires more hardware to take advantage of it.

Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes
A lot of this stuff is somewhat dated, but as a whole the website provides a ton of information.

It has a flowmaster cat back with dual in/out. If that count as exaust?

Everything else that was mentioned is sound advice. So I'm going to go with something else that should be a cheap fix. Get rid of the flowmasters immediately. They're baffled mufflers which are fine for NA engines because they help with backpressure. Being the GN is a boosted engine you don't want any backpressure because the pressure being made from the turbo is all the pressure the engine needs. Get a straight through design muffler like magna-flow. This will alleviate any back pressure now especially since you have a new downpipe helping your engine breathe better making more power.