Stock intercooler power #'s

GREEDY

I tried searching and couldn't find a good answer.
How much power will the stock intercooler support?
The reason I ask is I have a 4 cyl Turbo car and I was thinking of using a gn cooler in it and knowing how much power it will support in a larger 6 cylinder would give me a good idea of how well it could work in my car.
I will be using it as a front mount also so it will have plenty of airflow across the core.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by GREEDY
I tried searching and couldn't find a good answer.
How much power will the stock intercooler support?
The reason I ask is I have a 4 cyl Turbo car and I was thinking of using a gn cooler in it and knowing how much power it will support in a larger 6 cylinder would give me a good idea of how well it could work in my car.
I will be using it as a front mount also so it will have plenty of airflow across the core.

Thanks,
Mike

My best guess would be 300-350hp flywheel efficiently.
Many have pushed way beyond that, but it suffers from major pressure drop....4# or more above the normal standard rated flow. The intercooler is of the old style tube & fin design. The higher performance type intercoolers now, would be the Bar & Plate design.

If you do elect to use the GN/T stock intercooler, I would have it pressure checked. It is well known that most have leakage where the cooler meets the tanks. A radiator shop could easily do the testing for you. Repair could be as easy as JB weld...but I would go the welded route if possible.

Re: Re: Stock intercooler power #'s

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant
My best guess would be 300-350hp flywheel efficiently.
Many have pushed way beyond that, but it suffers from major pressure drop....4# or more above the normal standard rated flow. The intercooler is of the old style tube & fin design. The higher performance type intercoolers now, would be the Bar & Plate design.

If you do elect to use the GN/T stock intercooler, I would have it pressure checked. It is well known that most have leakage where the cooler meets the tanks. A radiator shop could easily do the testing for you. Repair could be as easy as JB weld...but I would go the welded route if possible.

Thanks!!!
Good information.
Should be more than adequate for what I'm doing.
I've heard good things about the Duttweiler neck, on a small 4cyl (under 275whp)would this be a good mod or unneccessary?

Re: Re: Re: Stock intercooler power #'s

Originally posted by GREEDY
Thanks!!!
Good information.
Should be more than adequate for what I'm doing.
I've heard good things about the Duttweiler neck, on a small 4cyl (under 275whp)would this be a good mod or unneccessary?

I would think it would be unecessary at the level you describe, but no doubt anything you do to reduce the flow restriction, would be beneficial.

Depends on how much time & money you are willing to invest?

If your goal is in the 275hp range, I would use as is.

I am making somewhere north of 450 flywheel, but I am sure it is a restriction at this point.