Stock intercooler limits

V6DVette

aka Smitty
I don't have the room to install a front mount IC and will more then likely have to stick with the stocker unless I go nuts and get a liquid cooled.
So what is the largest turbo combo I could go with? All things being equal that is. I know heads and stall also need to be looked at...
3200 stall now but stock heads. I'd like to have something I can grow into and not hate in the mean time.

I'm never gonna finish this car!:(

Why don't you just get a stretch stock location intercooler?

Plenty of them out there with original or new cores.

Sometimes a bit hard to find but most work well.

The bottom of the stocker sits right on the crossmember. Can't go back anymore and can't go foward. :(
I was thinking a TE44 is about as far as I can go with this setup.
I'd love to dip into the 10's with this car someday. If it means I have to go liquid cooled then I guess I'll just have to start saving up now.:)

Put a Duttweiler neck on a stocker and run a TA/TE 61 or 62 with that stall.

Or if you have money like most Corvette owners, ;) get yourself a ballbearing 66. :)

I'd skip the 44.

All ready have the Duttweiler neck..Had to readjust the turbo inlet.
You think a stocker will support TE-61?
And if I had money this thing would have been done years ago!

i think you should find a good stretch I/C and that should handle a 61 or so. cause your gonna build up to much heat with that big turbo with such a small I/C. i would suggest a mease performance 15 row I/C.depends on how much room you have below. i think there around $600. i had a MJ 15 row on my car and worked pretty well.

later,

I have rack and pinion in front of the crossmember...there is NO room down. As it is I had to chop 1 1/2" off the els to get it to line up with the turbo. (too high)I think I gotta get this thing running and see how warm it runs. I could put a f/m in if I did alotta plumbing changes. I guess you'd have to see it to know what I mean.

my buddy joe has gone 123MPH with the stock intercooler with the dutt neck-

since your going to be running the DIY alky kit, you wont build up as much heat going into the intake, so i dont think the stock intercooler will be the bottle neck for now in your combo-

HTH
BW

FULL SPEED AHEAD

A clean stock intercooler with a Dutt neck installed will handle a 61-series turbo just fine...no worries there!

There are more than a few 61s running around doing well with stock intercoolers, minus the Dutt neck...so you'd do fine!

HTH :)

HOLY FUK'IN SHYIOT!!!!!!!!!

Two Lane you are THE MAN!!!!

A POST THAT MEANS SOMETHING

I had to get the 409 glass and surface out because I came all over the screen when I read that shyiot!!!!

keep it up!:cool: :D ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

a stock intercooler will go low 11s with alky on the outboard, into the high 10s on race gas or for someone that wants to push the limits....start losing major efficiency at that point though and must begin backing out of timing figgers!

This car will be under 2800 lbs easy so I hope I don't have to "push the limits" too much!;)
Oh and FYI..I know at least one vendor that still has a lotta faith in you ....He just did my trans!

You might be abe to get somebody who builds ICs to make you one that sits higher in the car... like, say for instance... MEASE PERFORMANCE?! (Hi Keith! :) ) I do believe the inlet/outlet necks for his huge stock replacement IC are much shorter to accomodate all those rows so it sits higher and hangs lower. Have him make you one and chop off a few rows from the bottom so it hangs down to the same level as a stocker? Just a thought...

WAZZZUP REDNekk!!!!!

check out GMHTP or our website, that is exactly what we've done to accomodate those additional rows, our core is damn near 22" high and it only sits 3.75" below the swaybar!!! PLUS has a 3" inlet!

jay.....got anymore stock intercoolers???:cool: :cool: :cool:

I wish it was that easy....There is no "down" only thicker or wider.
Is that an option? Thicker would be better for me.
I really have to get this thing running!

why dont you put the vette together and get it running low 11's
for now, and then once you think the intercooler is inefficient, order a intercooler from keith....

who knows, if you order a custom intercooler now, you might get it 10 months later just in time;) :rolleyes:

BW

I guess I didn't explain myself quite the way I wanted to. Mease's ICs sit higher in the car AND hang down lower as the core is very tall. I had to do the same thing when I combined two complete stock ICs in the mid 90's... shorten the height of the inlet and outlet necks so the whole IC rode higher in the car. Otherwise, the IC would hang down to the ground! If you were to have Keith chop off the rows that hang lower than a stocker, you would still gain a few rows and have the benefits of the bigger neck and new core.

Honestly though... what you have will take you pretty far as long as it isn't leaking. The alky will cool the intake charge quite a bit and you've removed the major restriction on the IC with the 2.5" neck.

Originally posted by YGETV8

Honestly though...

what you have will take you pretty far as long as it isn't leaking.

The alky will cool the intake charge quite a bit and you've removed the major restriction on the IC with the 2.5" neck.

Precisely! :)