Stock Fan vs Dual Electric Fans...with CFM #'s

My water temp has been hovering around 205 degrees in stop and go traffic with the stock cooling system and the Precision FMIC. I decided to try and increase the airflow over the radiator by adding some dual electric fans to help keep the temp in check.

I opted for the Alradco Hybrid fan setup after reading many threads, and pm's with the vendor. The hybrid version came with the slim fan which gives more clearance for the turbo to intercooler piping.

I happen to have access to an instrument that measures airflow, so I thought it would be neat to test the before/after airflow.

Disclaimer!-This instrument is designed to test unobstructed openings. I enter the diameter of the opening that I am measuring and it calculates airflow. As we all know the fans are not a perfect circle of airflow. The motor and guard both block airflow. These numbers are for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered representative of the manufacturers advertised airflow.

I took airflow readings for each fan at several locations (12 o clock, 3 o clock, and 6 o clock) and took the average reading.

Stock 28 year old fan (15") - averaged 1500 cfm
Alradco hybrid (dual 11")-averaged a combined 3650

Side by Side comparison. After looking closer at the stock fan I noticed how poor of a design it is. The shroud does not cover the entire radiator, and there are large gaps where it does cover the radiator.

The "Extreme" Spal fan (11") measured around 2,300 cfm (This fan moves some serious air for an 11" fan!)

The "Slim" Spal fan (11") measured just over 1,350 cfm

I am very happy with the results of the Alradco fans. The airflow across the radiator is well over double what I had with the stock fan. My water temp has not been over 185 in this Houston heat yet. The fitment of the Alradco setup is better than stock IMO. I highly recommend this setup!

Great review, just what I was looking to find!

Thanks,

Great info. I am assuming that the alradco hybrid will fit a bone stock GN and is a " plug and play " install ?

My water temp has been hovering around 205 degrees in stop and go traffic with the stock cooling system and the Precision FMIC. I decided to try and increase the airflow over the radiator by adding some dual electric fans to help keep the temp in check.

I opted for the Alradco Hybrid fan setup after reading many threads, and pm's with the vendor. The hybrid version came with the slim fan which gives more clearance for the turbo to intercooler piping.

I happen to have access to an instrument that measures airflow, so I thought it would be neat to test the before/after airflow.

Disclaimer!-This instrument is designed to test unobstructed openings. I enter the diameter of the opening that I am measuring and it calculates airflow. As we all know the fans are not a perfect circle of airflow. The motor and guard both block airflow. These numbers are for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered representative of the manufacturers advertised airflow.

I took airflow readings for each fan at several locations (12 o clock, 3 o clock, and 6 o clock) and took the average reading.

Side by Side comparison. After looking closer at the stock fan I noticed how poor of a design it is. The shroud does not cover the entire radiator, and there are large gaps where it does cover the radiator.

The "Extreme" Spal fan (11") measured around 2,300 cfm (This fan moves some serious air for an 11" fan!)

I am very happy with the results of the Alradco fans. The airflow across the radiator is well over double what I had with the stock fan. My water temp has not been over 185 in this Houston heat yet. The fitment of the Alradco setup is better than stock IMO. I highly recommend this setup!

Thanks,
Great info. I am assuming that the alradco hybrid will fit a bone stock GN and is a " plug and play " install ?

Yes it would fit, but if you don't have a front mount intercooler why not get the model with the two large fans of equal size?

Stock fan, Alradco rad, 160 stat, fan programmed to come on at 167. 95*/ 50-60 humidity =167/170.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm usually wrong), but can't an engine run too cool? I've always heard if it doesn't run hot enough the oil will get too much moisture in it and wash down the cylinder walls and create sludge.

Thanks,

Yes it would fit, but if you don't have a front mount intercooler why not get the model with the two large fans of equal size?
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm usually wrong), but can't an engine run too cool? I've always heard if it doesn't run hot enough the oil will get too much moisture in it and wash down the cylinder walls and create sludge.

Thanks,

Yup, preventing that from happening is the 'thermostats' job. For example a 160 degree thermostat will maintain an operating temperature above 160 degrees.

;)

Thanks,

Yup, preventing that from happening is the 'thermostats' job. For example a 160 degree thermostat will maintain an operating temperature above 160 degrees.

;)

Stock fan, Alradco rad, 160 stat, fan programmed to come on at 167. 95*/ 50-60 humidity =167/170.
I'm running between 160 & 190 during the summer depending on temperature that day & how hard or easy I drive it. That wouldn't be considered too cool right? I do have a 160 stat & chip that kicks the fan on at 165 I believe.

I

I'm running between 160 & 190 during the summer depending on temperature that day & how hard or easy I drive it. That wouldn't be considered too cool right? I do have a 160 stat & chip that kicks the fan on at 165 I believe.

Nope, thats a fine range to operate in.

;)