Stock Chip and 92 octane

bholker

I've had some feedback that the stock chip has 24 degrees timing and that is too much for 92 octane.
Thoughts?
I've never been able to push more than 10 psi without getting some knock on 92 or 93 octane. Put in higher octane and I can push about 17 psi, so I know it's not false knock.
O2's always looked good, fuel pressure's been verified at static and wot. But I do have a stock chip and the only thing I've yet to do anything with is timing.
I do have spark translator that I've yet to install. I planned on putting that in, and pulling some timing to see what happens.

the stock ship definitely has too much timing for todays gasoline. either get a modern chip for ur car from somewhere like turbotweak, or back the timing down with the translator. u may have to go down to about 20degrees in first and second and 18degrees in 3rd and 4th. not too familiar with trans. plus timing adjustments though. hth!

Yeah even Premium 92/93 isn't good enough with the timing on the factory chip. Either pull some timing yourself or get an aftermarket chip.

Thanks.
I'll be putting in my spark translator and give it a try. I'll likely end up getting a new chip but I've got the spark translator there so I'll have to get that wired up and try it out.
Thanks again.

The cold start, etc in the stock chip sucks. Toss it and get a new chip.