State of the Buick Community: What to keep it from dying? Please check it out???

Yea, I agree. But I think the good thing is that could be part of the base planning.
The problem with a Pinks All Out format is TR's DO NOT hot lap well.

I would be scared to run my TR in a format like that.

But then there I go, separating the TR's from the other guys.....

Ya' can't win fer losing! :rolleyes:

Ill be in BG as well. Im definitely intrigued to go to dinner and or talk with people at the track about how to make an event qualify for success and also come up with new exciting and unique ideas to make it a success and continue as a success. BG say in 88-99 had pretty strong #s esp 88-92? with car counts in the upper 500s-800s (pulling old stats from a MCR 1990 issue) and back when they had almost 1k pre registrations. That was the height of the muscle car rebirth as TRs were a couple of years old and GS were coming on strong b/c the 80s and early 90s was the restoration and pure stock muscle car racing phase. Now its a totally different game. Its just like car sales. Average person shops 4 dealerships before they purchase. Same thing for a successful event. You have to dare to be different to get people to come out of the woodwork to attend. Ive even heard car show owners now saying they feel rather than plaques they should get cash or gift cert awards as well. Have to appeal to people and as cars and people get owner and cars get more scarce, ditto for parts you have to have a way to market to people to make them say yes its worth it to me to bring my car down to show , race, etc. It seems now everyone will just drive to see the event and who brings their cars down there. I agree with Jay, the Hollidome and Park Inn used to be filled to the brim with people driving their cars from all over the country as half the fun was seeing people from all 4 corners and all over Canada driving or having their cars on trailers to the event.

We have listed great ideas to get people to attend but whether people will come and bring their cars in the #s we used to see i just dont know. I really want it to and really want to get a super high count of Buicks, but even with all the hype and marketing and everything the times may just have changed for the good and my thoughts are unrealistic. Im hoping im wrong but im interested to see if all this internet debate will actually be put to use. If egos step aside and people look to not make a $$ as the bottom line and look at giving back to the enthusiast or the diehard guy whose been into Buicks since day 1 or just have fun and get a shi$ ton of Buicks we can do it. If it becomes who can stand to make the most $$ and get all the credit and let egos become bigger and get into heated arguments, well back to square 1.

Lets see how it all goes down!

I just don't think this can be said enough.

Do an event that:

First: Doesn't bankrupt attendees.

Is fun for the racers AND promotes comraderie among different cliques in the pits.

I.E. awards, or plaques given to the guys who helped others get on the track when they would have been watching if it had not been for the help.

Maybe a "shout out" as the helpful guys roll into the staging lanes.

Someone from TB.com going around and gathering cool stories about people who are at the event ( the trip, the broken car that got fixed, the guy who cooks the best "Pit;) BBQ" , etc, and posting it up here on TB.com, silly $hit like that.

People love to see their name in print!

Make it fun for the spectators:

Trinket, Schwag and trash give aways, door prizes, musical or other acts and contests for down times.

Other activities : bungee jumping, helicoptor rides, a go cart track, something, anything......

Maybe a "Check your Attitude Gate" that racers must go through where they are told, "If you want to bitch, don't do it here! Be nice or go home, understand that everyone is here for a good time, don't ruin it for others", then give them a smiley sticker chosen from one of the limited dumbassed smiley faces available here on TB.com. (did you see how I snuck my bitch in there, huh, didja see that?:D)

Most of all, make it about loving Buicks!

Like I said in an earlier post: "You guys can do what you want. I'm just looking for a way to enjoy and have fun with my car and share good times with others who love and cherish these little cars."

Everyone is saying find common ground between the GSCA & BPG but the usual people are making their same crappy comments. This is why a lot of people don't go the BPG event, myself included. So much for burying the hatchet.

Someone finally hit the nail on the head.

Exactly. Of all the race classes at the 2009 Nats TSA was the most appropriate (stock turbo, stock unopened motor) but it had an ATR downpipe so it isn't compliant.

And Anthony, I'm not so sure about an all GM show. Part of the reason for this the new summit catalog came out and I was browsing it. I see lots of SBC, BCC and LS1 stuff but it's sparse on Buick parts. Being that marketing is what it is, I'd be afraid an all GM show would be dominated by LS vendors and push the buick guys out.

This.

I personally love the GS Nationals because of how the class cars are all turbo 6's,and mostly regals.I go to several different brand x races a year and the buick events are my favorate.I guess what i am trying to say is i would rather see the buick stuff die off than have to watch a bunch of chevelle and old camaro bracket cars all day just to see a turbo buick make a pass.The LSX stuff will open up a whole new can of worms also.(f-body crap)

Would adding a turbo lsx conversion class to the roster help?As long it is regal based? Invite the Syclone/Typhoon guys? The computer car idea is good i think....

Heck i don't know,just a fan talking here,but it will be a sad day if the GS nats go by the wayside. :(