Starting procedure for a 37K motor sitting 10 years

70GS_87GN

Hi everyone, excuse the rookie post. This is my first go at a turbo car.

Tomorrow we are getting ready to start my low milage GN and I want to make sure I have the right procedure down. The motor spins free, we were cranking it without firing it off to make sure everything sounded ok.

I changed the oil and filter and added zddp. We are also going to prime it before starting it.

When it starts should we run it at a low rec or let it idle? It's 100% bone stock. I posted another thread questioning if it's the factory turbo but got little response..

Thanks for all your help!
Louie

If it sounds good and oil pressure is good I would keep it at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes or so. Replace all your bad vacuum lines and go through the spring cleaning list. I let my GN sit a bit longer. It needed a new fuel tank,pump and radiator.

I would let it idle. No need to run it at rpm for 20min. Cam is already broken in. Just prime it, rotate the motor by hand prime it, rotate it by hand prime it, I would do this till you get good flow from all the rockers. And when you think your good prime it again. That's just me

I did the timing chain and a bunch of new gaskets before stating my dormant one in addition to a good prime. mine was on the stand though and not in the car.

where was it stored?

post some pics

I was going to say squirt some oil in the spark plug holes before turning it over, but too late for that.

new oil and fuel. the injectors may be stuck, so it may not run well. scantool for codes and block learn info.

Bob

look out for mouse-eaten hoses and wiring (plug wires too) my wife's barn-find '99 yukon had a lot of that.

Hi everyone, excuse the rookie post. This is my first go at a turbo car.

Tomorrow we are getting ready to start my low milage GN and I want to make sure I have the right procedure down. The motor spins free, we were cranking it without firing it off to make sure everything sounded ok.

I changed the oil and filter and added zddp. We are also going to prime it before starting it.

When it starts should we run it at a low rec or let it idle? It's 100% bone stock. I posted another thread questioning if it's the factory turbo but got little response..

Thanks for all your help!
Louie

Did you first drain the fuel and change the fuel filter. What does the fuel smell like?

If properly stored, it should have fresh oil. I would have checked the oil and started it, then changed the oil after it was warm. Run the engine at high RPM 2K or so when it starts and do not let it idle till warmed up. Cranking the engine could damage the cam. The cam will be dry from sitting 10 years and oiling of the cam comes mostly from splash off the connecting rods. Never let a Buick V6 idle and/or warm up. Start it and drive it easy, it is fuel injected. One of the main reasons for so many cam failures in stock motors especially after valve spring upgrades..... Any questions feel free to contact me directly

Did you first drain the fuel and change the fuel filter. What does the fuel smell like?

If properly stored, it should have fresh oil. I would have checked the oil and started it, then changed the oil after it was warm. Run the engine at high RPM 2K or so when it starts and do not let it idle till warmed up. Cranking the engine could damage the cam. The cam will be dry from sitting 10 years and oiling of the cam comes mostly from splash off the connecting rods. Never let a Buick V6 idle and/or warm up. Start it and drive it easy, it is fuel injected. One of the main reasons for so many cam failures in stock motors especially after valve spring upgrades.....
^^^ This!

Drain the oil and fill with 24 quarts of oil! This will cover everything all the way up to the cam and lifters. Do not start or rotate. Then drain and save the oil for use later. Add 5.5 quarts. I read this method posted by Richard Clark on this forum sometime ago.

Thank you all for the help!!! I really appreciate everyone's insight. The first start since 2002 went great! The thing fired right up and sounded ready to roll. Attached is a video. Idled high and no driveshaft + trans in neutral (won't start in park, linkage needs adjustment)