Starting over with new engine..a little help?

Got it off, and no parts broken!

I'm going to put a rebuild kit on the oil pump, pack it with vasoline, and then I'm read to reassemble.

Question: when I lift the engine into the car, I will be using a 'carb plate lift'. If I put the gasket on the manifold on and torque things down, will lifting by the carb plate mess with my gasket seal? Would I be better off to get it into the car, then put the gasket on and snug things down?

Read the link I provided. It will help the engine make better oil pressure and it's not hard at all to do it.

If everything it torqued down right it shouldn't matter but I always install them with bolts at the end of the heads.

I was going to look into doing the mods when I noticed that the oil pump cover had BROKEN where the oil filter screws on! Geez its always something!

Looking on Ebay there is a "performance Timing Cover with a high volume oil pump kit". Is this worth looking at? I am going to have to order any kind of replacement, as I struck out at AZ and Shucks, probably wont be able to find one locally.

Unless it's a GM cover don't bother. The aftermarket ones have a tendancy to leak. Find one on the board that's used. If you really want to go after market I've got a new one here I won't be using and I think I paid just under $100 for it. With the mods to the cover described in the link you don't need a high volume pump at all, it works that well.

thanks Charlie. All I really need is the oil filter housing. Do you mean the timing chain covers leak, or the oil filter housings leak if its not GM?

If all you need is the filter adaptor then you shouldn't have an issue. I thought you needed the timing cover. My bad.

Picked up a oil pump rebuild kit (clevite I think) and the filter housing is in the mail. There are 4 springs with different colors . I think the instructions are for 2 different housing and pressure options. Do I want the 40 or the 60? Which color to use?

Use the stronger spring in it. This will keep the most pressure for the engine. Make sure to check Earls thread though. He's very thorough with his directions.