Starting an 87 GN after sitting for 6 years?

ksmmspt

Hi,
I just rescued a wrecked 87 GN with the drivetrain intact. What steps should I take prior to trying to crank this engine. I know I have several hoses to replace. Thanks

Change the oil, pull the cam sensor out and prelube the oil pump and motor. Be sure to rotate the motor over (by hand) to make sure oil gets every where. Look in the breathers, or remove the valve covers to make sure oil gets to the top.

HTH,
Squid

You may also want to pull all the plugs and squirt a little Marvel Mystery Oil on top of each piston.

Squid4life said:
Change the oil, pull the cam sensor out and prelube the oil pump and motor. Be sure to rotate the motor over (by hand) to make sure oil gets every where. Look in the breathers, or remove the valve covers to make sure oil gets to the top.

HTH,
Squid

Thanks for the input. What's the best way to rotate the engine by hand? Sorry to seem ignorant but once you remove the cam sensor, what should I do after that and then with the sensor. Will I need to reinstall and set the cam sensor prior to starting the car? I know a fair amount about keeping these cars running, but I have no experience in starting one that has been sitting for so long. My mechanic has your everyday mechanics knowledge and no turbo 3.8 knowledge. Please bear with me...I don't want to ruin this motor. Thanks.

I hope not but I might be "in the same boat" as you are.

I live in Houston. The car is jacked up as high as I can get it in the garage.
I hope when I return that she is in good shape (no water damage) and that it won't be 6 years before I can start it again.

ksmmspt said:
Hi,
I just rescued a wrecked 87 GN with the drivetrain intact. What steps should I take prior to trying to crank this engine. I know I have several hoses to replace. Thanks
Good question. Would this process be necessary for a gn that sat for 15 months?

it all depends on environment that it sat in for whatever given time frame. Outdoors for 15 months, not good, moisture is gonna get in about every nook in the drive train. Garage is better but still not great. Air conditioned room is best to keep out moisture. Moisture leads to corrosion and parts binding up. Drain engine oil and add new in by removing the valve covers and getting it in as many areas as you can. Lube up as much as possible. Also drain the transmission and replace that fluid too. Probably need to do brake fluid too if it sat for 15 months. It has a way of attracting moisture.

justabuickv6 said:
I hope not but I might be "in the same boat" as you are.

I live in Houston. The car is jacked up as high as I can get it in the garage.
I hope when I return that she is in good shape (no water damage) and that it won't be 6 years before I can start it again.

Just saw the latest weather reports (7:21AM EDT), WOW!

Good Luck and Stay Safe!

You will need to drop the gas tank and clean it out if it had gas in it from the past. If it did then it will have turned into varnish by now. BTDT

REPLACE fuel pump with upgrade one & replace the sock and fuel filter.
Good time to add a hotwire kit if it doesn't have one.
With fuel filter off you may want to blow air from the fuel rail back to see if the line is plugged.

Gary

Hey justabuickv6, i live in new orleans an also had my car jacked up has high as i could get it. But it was'nt enough for me :frown: Hope u make out well & Be Safe..

So far, the storm is suppose to take a easternly approach leaving Houston to its left. If so, we might be okay. If in fact this happens, the winds will be 80-90 mph at my location but we are not sure about the storm surge. The worst it has ever flooded in my area was Hurricane Allison in 01. That was a CAT3. The water was close but did not come in. The water will have to get at least two feet deep in my garage before it can get the Buick.

I would replace all the fluids in the car, ALL of them. Belts vacuum lines and hoses are probably bad too. Don't be surprised if the rear main seal leaks.

An overall "spring cleaning" needs to be done see:http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

As said before, pull the plugs and let the pistons soak in oil or marvel mystery oil and turn over by hand a socket on the front of the crank 1 1/8" IIRC.

Use a small block chevy oil primer to get the oil flowing, tons of data on this in the archives - do a search.

It will take some time and $$ to bring the beast back but it will be worth it!