Stall RPM recommendations......

Missouri T

Hi folks,

Finally!
Finances have come around and it's time to ditch the re-stalled D5 that's in my T right now.
Unknown stall but I'm guessing somewhere around 2400-2600.
Needless to say, it's WAY too tight for my combo.

I've gotten three different stall RPM recommendations now and only want to make this swap once if I can help it.

My combination:
Turbo: PTE-51.
Cam: Ruggles 210/205
Intake: stock, KB doghouse, 65mm Accufab TB, BIG stock location intercooler, 4" Full throttle mass air.
Exhaust: 3" ATR downpipe, external TIAL wastegate, no cat with dump, 2.5" ATR cat-back.
Heads: stock castings, bowl Ported, stock valve sizes, aftermarket springs
3.42 gear
255/50-16 back tires
Stock weight car
100% street driven
Keeping lock-up

Precision Turbo recommends 2800 RPM stall minimum for the PTE-51.

For example:
One shop recommends 2800-3000.
Another recommends 3200-3400.
Both were 10" lock-up units.

I'm swaying toward Pat's, they were super helpful on the phone and seem to be well-liked here on the board?

Thanks for any and all input!

Considering you have heads and a cam I would go a little big for this turbo
so that when you update the turbo and put 60lbs injectors on it you are covered. I would do around ~3200...

Thanks for the input, John.
PM sent.

My car would be a missile with a 3200.

I brake torqued it this afternoon for an impromptu "test".
It went to about 2400 and that was it.
So I gently rolled into the throttle a little further....then the tires broke loose....fishtail and smoke insued!
Oh My! :eek: ;)

PTS Billet 9X11 3,000 with the current turbo or a Precision Single Disk 3,000

I forgot a very important aspect of my question:

A $500 plus shipping budget.

That puts me right into the 10" Single Disk Lock-Up 2800-3400 converter price range.

Precision and PTS are THE BEST, believe me I do realize that but they're WAY out of my price range.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Boost231 but.....

Ain't gonna happen.
$500-$550 is as far as I'm gonna go.

hey, i picked up a custom built converter off of ebay for bout 450 shipped, had it stalled to 3000, kinda tight but a big improvement over stock. and by the way it was a 10 inch lock up. no vibrations or anything to it. not a bad converter for the price, i've installed and drove in vehicles with tci's and hughes converters and u can tell a difference, but the guy's name and email are don moran/ morandon@yahoo.com. he can stall from 2600-3400 for the 2004-r trans, lockup and non lock up. hope this helps you

Considering you have heads and a cam I would go a little big for this turbo
so that when you update the turbo and put 60lbs injectors on it you are covered. I would do around ~3200...

I'm far from an expert in this area, but I think John's thinking is on target.
I picked 3200 for my son's car. My thinking was that his combo was pretty much set. He had it dynoed and I tried to shoot for about 400/500 rpms under peak tq rpm. Right or wrong it's too late now, maybe sometime soon we'll see how it works.

I'm far from an expert in this area, but I think John's thinking is on target.
I picked 3200 for my son's car. My thinking was that his combo was pretty much set. He had it dynoed and I tried to shoot for about 400/500 rpms under peak tq rpm. Right or wrong it's too late now, maybe sometime soon we'll see how it works.

Mike,

Can I show my wife this post?
She may not believe that someone thinks I am right about something!

Careful, you may start a new trend. Wright there in black & white, irrevocable proof that someone may share the same thought...........

Naaaaaa, she'll never believe you :D

The restalled D5 you have should work fine with that combo. shouldn't be WAY too tight.

I could spool my PTE51 with a stock D5 with no heads and cam. and only quick spool code tricks in my chip (more heat) and in my BSTC boost controller.

I wouldn't bother doing all that work taking it off and putting another one in until you raise your budget $200 or so.

Protorque makes a nice 3200 stall 10.5" converter.

Pats may also be a good choice, just get a quality one, if they have one to fit the current budget go for it.

You definately don't need over a 3000 stall for the PTE51 I use a single disk Vigilante and it's perfect, it's a good quality street converter. :cool:

Protorque is in the other car with a DBB Innovative 70 turbo.

The restalled D5 you have should work fine with that combo. shouldn't be WAY too tight.

Pats may also be a good choice, just get a quality one, if they have one to fit the current budget go for it.

You definately don't need over a 3000 stall for the PTE51 I use a single disk Vigilante and it's perfect, it's a good quality street converter. :cool:

Thanks for the input!

Pat's has a 10" lock-up in a 2800-3000 or 3000-3200.
Exactly on my price target, too.
GREAT folks to deal with on the phone.
Very helpful and easy to get along with.

Full Throttle sells the same unit as well.

Thanks for the input!