Stage II 7000 rpm+?

95' regal gs

Well, I figured for my #100 post I should ask a good question, so here goes....

So lets assume one has a built Stage II, (BMS 3.625 crank, Oliver billet rods, good quality custom forged pistons, fully race ported Champion 14 bolt heads with titanium intake valves, inconel exaust valves and berillium seats, Champion fully race ported intake...ect.ect). What would be nesessary to spin the motor to say 7500 rpm? I'm going to guess a solid roller cam? Some type of external oiling system? What sort of valve spring pressures would be required to prevent float? Would the Champion heads even be able to flow enough CFM for that type of rpm? Am I forgeting anything, mabey something special for rocker arm/push rod set up?

Well, I figured for my #100 post I should ask a good question, so here goes....

So lets assume one has a built Stage II, (BMS 3.625 crank, Oliver billet rods, good quality custom forged pistons, fully race ported Champion 14 bolt heads with titanium intake valves, inconel exaust valves and berillium seats, Champion fully race ported intake...ect.ect). What would be nesessary to spin the motor to say 7500 rpm? I'm going to guess a solid roller cam? Some type of external oiling system? What sort of valve spring pressures would be required to prevent float? Would the Champion heads even be able to flow enough CFM for that type of rpm? Am I forgeting anything, mabey something special for rocker arm/push rod set up?
There are many options. Most guys are running billet cranks that run that much power/rpm. over 7k rpm is a 160+mph 3400lb car these days. Not too many guys are in that range. There are so many possibilities at that level for valvetrain and engine parts it would be hard to list them all

Not sure what Dan at DLS did to my TA heads, but I spin my S2 up to 7800 and have accidentally hit the limiter at 8100. :eek:

I run a external wet sump oil pump and a custom DLS kick out oil pan. He has done some extensive oil control work throughout the engine. Obviously I am running a solid roller cam, not sure of the specs, never asked him.

Hope this helps.

I run small valve M&A heads and redline at 7800, shift at 7200 and like Ted, have occasionally seen 8100 by accident. So, yes. It is possible with the right components.

You are talking about 900hp and higher with such a setup. Much higher with your cubes. Not really what I would consider a street car.

It would have to be a mechanical roller, and with a light valvetrain you can get away with 190 lbs. on the seat for springs. It really would depend on your particular grind though. How aggressive the ramps are.

I like thick tapered pushrods. I use Manton. I'm sure everyone has their preference. Shaft mounted rockers. I use Jesel.