Stage Block vs TA Aluminum Block?

The LS3 is an aluminum block. Aluminum is more expensive than cast iron and weighs more but is repairable. IMHO, aluminum is the way to go in HP applications.
Conrad

Conrad,

An LS3 block is a production block and is aluminum like you said. The majority of the LS series have aluminum blocks with the exception of some truck applications.The blocks I was referring to are GM's heavy duty race blocks sold for aftermarket applications. Their LSX block is targeted for the most severe duty applications and it is iron.

Neal

Talking with some super stock engine builders such as Ray Barton who builds some of the fastest Hemi's, I was told that the iron always made more power because they were more stable than aluminum. These we're 900hp + n/a engines spinning over 9500 rpm.
AG

I doubt the block that was in gallinas race car was a typical iron block. I'd expect a larger cam journal at minimum. Imo any block used for racing purposes needs a larger cam bore and that it should be raised as well to better accommodate the reciprocating assembly and lobe consistency with larger cam journal masters.

Phone TA and ask them if it requires any further machining before final assembly...or talk to a builder that's built a TA aluminum block engine.
Since you mention it, where would a guy find a builder that has built TA aluminum blocks and is still doing it?

Since you mention it, where would a guy find a builder that has built TA aluminum blocks and is still doing it?

If you have the bucks to build a TA aluminum block, Lou Czarnota will build you a monster. He only builds what he wants to now, but he's earned that. There are some serious TA builders out there today. Ask questions, you will find one. The only limitations, as with all cars, are your budget, or what you can sneak past the wife..........

A TA build would probably be "a discussion". ;)