Stage Block vs TA Aluminum Block?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Why would I buy a virgin cast iron stage block for $3,500 or so when I could buy a new, strong, lightweight TA block for $4,000?
Conrad

Why would I buy a virgin cast iron stage block for $3,500 or so when I could buy a new, strong, lightweight TA block for $4,000?
Conrad

There is less knowledge out there on how to properly setup a T/A block. More machine shops can do a stage II and get it right, but the T/A blocks seem more difficult to get machined right; unless you pay for a guru.

Nostalgia for me would get me to buy a Stage II if I was in the market.

The TA block is for the big boys. Big dollar mill when all said and done.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How much $$$$$ are we talking about getting it right? I have always loved the thought of getting one but didn't want to sacrifice a year of the kid's college fund. I had one of the Brayton aluminum blocks and a guy in CA paid a premium price and I let it go. Maybe this should be moved to stage 2 tech.

Look around I got my virgin block for 1000. The deals are out there just be patient.

Conrad

Because that is the "smart" thing to do!

The alum block has developed ~2000 HP on Kenny D's engine dyno, many stage blocks have given up at much less than that! :)

After 1000+ plus 9 sec. passes over a 10 year period with the first TA alum block and LOTS of learning mis-experience I am going to "freshen" my block with new liners, and it should last even years longer after this build.

A virgin block, iron or alum, will need cleaning and final machine work before assembling, but if the shop has experience, knowledge and proper tools, machine cost is about the same.

Good used Stage II blocks are not as common as they once were. It is easier to repair the TA block but it seems from what is posted here about them, they need specific machining that a select few are good at. I have no idea what a TA short block finished would cost but I would expect to spend at least $15k to compete the engine with new parts. If you had heads/intake/turbo already then you could save plenty I'm sure.

Should have put it in Stage section but I was here when the question came to me. thanks all for your thoughts.
Conrad

i would buy a t/a block from nick and have him quarterback the prep work then ship it when its done.

Conrad
I had a T/A aluminum long block built by Nick Micale last year. T/A block, T/A heads, Champion race intake..... With shipping it was around 20k. If you're going to do a T/A aluminum build I would only use Nick. He has the most experience with that build along with a very, very good machine shop, Zimmerman Racing. I live in Philly and the shop that does all my work is very familiar with both Nick and Zimmerman Racing.

Anyone trying to sell a virgin Stage II block for $3500 is speculating. Anyone willing to pay that much needs to have their head examined. The Stage II market has been stagnant for a number of years and there are less people willing to spend $15K+ to build a motor. I've bought a number of complete ex-Nascar / IMSA aspirated engines for less than $4k a piece. The deals are out there. You just need to be diligent and have cash on hand.

Neal

The iron stage blocks are still the desired block to use.

I'm in this posistion right now, and, decided to go with a new TA block. I'm going to use my 4340 3.400 crank, Eagle rods, GN1 heads, and anything else I can to keep the build down. I'm waiting on a quote from Nick as I'm leaning towards having him build it. Might end up having the machine work done in AZ and assemble it here, haven't really decided yet and the blocks wont be done until the end of April (hopefully) so I've got sometime to think about it. I chose to do the TA piece because to me it seems as if it's a much wiser investment at the end of the day. IMO the only reason an iron stage block would be the "desired" block is budget. Why wouldn't you chose the piece that's PROVEN to be able to handle MUCH more power safely AND can be repaired if need be MUCH easier as well?