stage 2 iron heads 14x ?

richardv6

i have a set of stage 2 iron heads on a stage motor i bought and was wondering if it would be worth keeping them or sell and get gn1r heads.i was told they only made 20 sets of these heads and that they were made for nascar .has anyone heard of these and would it be worth changing.

i ment 14 bolt iron head with jezel rocker setup, on a 4.1 stage 2 block .heads fully worked and have factory stamped 14x on them.

The only issue those heads might have is a smallish combustion chamber, yielding fairly high compression ratio.

I have a set, they look like they FLOW monsters, I would not trade them for GN-1 heads, unless they are giving you a large sum of money on top!

Most of the iron heads, the deck is too thin and they dont hold up real well under boost. Thats why you dont see anyone running them.

dutweiler had a pair on a offcenter stage engine for sale at the gsca nats, that was back in 2009,
i have a pair that was ported by steve schmitt engine of indy, he said the only difference was 11 pounds each heaver than the stage two alum, heads, the exhaust ports are smaller than the ones on the 5 pair of alum, heads that i have,,oc,,

Most of the iron heads, the deck is too thin and they dont hold up real well under boost. Thats why you dont see anyone running them.

They can;t be worse than 8445 heads with 8 bolts..........

Stage II iron heads aren't worth much. I used to have a set of new castings and used them as wheel chocks in my garage (true story). If they are complete with valves, springs etc. $500 maybe. There are way too many sets of fully ported aluminum heads out there that are preferrable for them to be worth much more. There is however a 14 bolt version of a Stage I head that would be worth more money.

Neal

Neal do you realize they flow way more than aluminium heads out of the box! Look at the cross-sectional in the power source book, templates, you will see what I am talking about.!

Norbs I've never had a bare set of aluminum heads to compare them with. No sense in buying bare heads and spending a kings ransom to have them ported etc. when there are so many nice sets available for pennies on the dollar.

Neal

I agree neal. a friend bought new castings few years ago he said he had 3000. in them when they were ready to bolt on, oc,

sorry for late responce guys these are 14 bolt heads production style head, on a off center block 4.1 stage 2 block.they were on harry andersons stage 2 motor which i have the whole motor all new with only 6 dyno pulls on it. he had in black tta,made 650hp at tire on low boost.i plan on putting motor setup in a buick if i ever get out of paint shop.their is a youtube video of it .under 650 hp buick.heads were bought originally from rick harper who bought them new from buick.

i have been waiting so long on my car to be done i am just about to just give it up and sell all my stuff..paint guys can be frustrating .

The 14 bolt Stage I heads are really pretty rare. I've never owned a set myself. I knew Rick Harper had some once and I think Mike Licht and a few other guys had them too back in the day. I couldn't guess at a value but they are definitely more desirable than iron Stage II heads.

Neal

they were harpers oringinally and they were sent to cal for port work for some nba player..i spoke to harper about them while back and he said never take less than 3k for them...