Squirrels

faster

I have an invasion of squirrels in the neighborhood. They are tearing my house to shreds along with all my neighbors houses. They have learned it is warmer and sleep in the attics now. I was in home depot yesterday buying aluminum under eave vents to replace the screen ones they chew through and then tractor supply to buy heavy screen to keep them off the wood. In both places I encountered six people from different parts of the city who have the same problem with squirrels doing the same thing in their neighborhoods.
Every house in my neighborhood I looked at has holes in the eaves. They have begun to shred my asphalt roof shingles too. I can't imagine how city code officials will react when they see my house now. I've removed all the foliage they used but they climb the exterior brick walls.

Mikey

hello; I have a co-worker who goes crazy seeing them around her house. She calls them "tree rats". Once there in it will take some work to get em out.
have fun
IBBY

.22 silent but deadly. Or wound one let go back and tell his friends... Then they will move out and into the neighbors house.

Considering they are usually up high, it wouldn't be wise to use a 22. Maybe a BB gun. Still dangerous though.

D

Same problem here,I live in an old mansion converted to six apartments I'm on the third floor with a tree right outside my bedroom window, so they'll jump over on my side go over to the other end of the house into multiple eve holes ill tell my neighbor there in, we both get our pellet rifles ready, hell bang on HIS walls (where they like to play LOL) out they come back to the tree they go, and then there toast!!!! Needless to say the squirrel has no chance trying to hide from two Benjamin single pump scoped rifles. Once there's a few dead ones scattered thru the yard they get the point but only for so long, traps work but there a pain, poison works but when they die in your walls its horrible,So start killin and grillin, like Evil said they are quite tasty!!!...happy hunting...Mike

And people wonder why I go nuts, no pun intended, when one comes onto my property! Thankfully I've seen and shot the scouts. I'd probly go all Bill Murray in Caddy Shack on em if there was a full scale invasion.

And people wonder why I go nuts, no pun intended, when one comes onto my property! Thankfully I've seen and shot the scouts. I'd probly go all Bill Murray in Caddy Shack on em if there was a full scale invasion.

I'm almost at the Mouse Hunt stage (remember the movie).

Thanks for the advice guys.

Actually the rat traps work good. After catching five they have learned to roll the live traps to get the bait so they avoid them now as well as the sticky traps I nailed by the holes, smart little devils.

Another thing that seems to work is I spray the eaves with a 50% ammonia mix late in the afternoon and they run across the roof but avoid the eaves when they go to nest at dusk and leave.

My daughter (16) has become quite the huntress with the BB gun. She sits motionless in the back yard for 30-45 minutes, they return and she's nailed three.

This is war!!!!

Mikey

I used to get fox urine and sulfur to use as deterrent. Spread it around in the attic. The sulfur also repels reptiles.

I used to get fox urine and sulfur to use as deterrent. Spread it around in the attic. The sulfur also repels reptiles.

Doesn't it smell like someone took a number two in your attic? LOL I've always used a .22 or 12ga depending, but then again I didn't used to live in the middle of town.

,Dan

Had that problem once. Buy some moth balls and place them in ladies nylons/socks. Put them in the attic. They hate the smell. The nylons are so you can pick it up after they are out. Yes you need to seal off where they are getting in. Sounds like they are determined tree rats. Good luck.

Had the same issue when I lived in smurfreesboro, TN many years ago. Got a high powered pellet rifle and had target practice quite often.;) Hated the wrestling matches in the attic especially at the crack of dawn when the kids got rambunctious.:mad: One of my co-workers came over one day and we were talking about the issue and I got lucky enough to shoot one just as it leaped from the roof to the tree nearby. Wasn't that far from where I was standing and the damn thing had some nervous reactions while dying.:eek: My co-worker and my room mate were laughing so hard while I did a jig as the tree rat tried to crawl up my leg.:D Not kidding, so make sure to get a really good shot when you get the chance.:p

I have woods all around my back property.. Rarely see a "fuzzy tailed rat"....The coyotes, hawks, [I have 2 red tails in there], TCOB. Downside is, they also eat all the ground nesting birds.:(
Last 1 that got "tagged", got it w/ the .223, in an oak about 60' above the ground....Skinned, gutted, all at the same time! My neighbor's wife makes a KILLER squirrel stew!:D

Not sure I want the smell of the urine.

So far I mist the eaves twice a day with 50% ammonia mix and that seems to keep them out off the eaves. They are now begun chewing through the asphalt shingle so I'm screwing big rat traps to the roof and I'll see how that works. I need a new roof and was debating steel vs asphalt, no choice now.
I've been clearing all the tree limbs they jump from. Wife suggested electric fencing wire like we use for the horses, hmmm...

All the guys that work for me are country boys who make stew for lunch out of them.

Mikey

Like this???
House done 003.jpg

Antifreeze next to a bowl of really cheep cat food.

seems to keep the cats away too......... and everything else for that matter....

Another hole in the eaves when I get home from work I must have trapped one yesterday when I patched the others cause this was chewed from the inside out. I'm thinking dynamite next.

I have a dark red brick house so roof color is critical. I can't find a color that compliments the brick.

Mikey