Spool on the street?

79TurboCutlass

Corn Eater
I've been thinking about what would be the best rear upgrade combo for my car. Right now everything is stock.(GN 8.5) With the addition of a double pumper and more boost mid 10's won't be a problem. I was looking at Moser's alloy axle, spool, c-clip eliminator kit. I want a pretty bullet proof rear- only want to do it once. Car only sees the track maybe twice a year, and limited street use- cruise to local shows on the weekend.

If its a streetcar i would stick with a trutrack or limited slip diff. You will not be happy with a spool on the street. Plus you will be eating your rear tires up faster with the spool.

I run a spool on the street with a 325 drag radial and its fine. just remember its back there and DONT drive in the rain. Its not that bad on tires either

I run 275-60 MT Drag Radials right now. The car doesn't come out if it is cloudy.;) I don't put many miles on the car, It still has C16 from Buick Race Day in Norwalk in the tank right now.:eek:

I just put a spool and 33 spline axles on my street car and its fine barely notice a difference .I put a lot of air in the tires so its easier on the turns

im running a 8.5 with strage 33spline axles, strage spool, and c-clip elemi's and i run the car on the street. you dont even realize its back there. i am also running MT 275/60 et street radials. now when i do notice it is when im trying to get in the drive way. if i dont pull in straight it will mark the hell out of the drive way.

It sounds like the spool is the way to go. I can get the spool/ axle/ c-clip pkg for about the same price as an Eaton posi unit by itself. I just wasn't sure sure of its street manners. Thanks for the input guys.

im running a 8.5 with strage 33spline axles, strage spool, and c-clip elemi's and i run the car on the street. you dont even realize its back there. i am also running MT 275/60 et street radials. now when i do notice it is when im trying to get in the drive way. if i dont pull in straight it will mark the hell out of the drive way.

I learned this the hard way lol, the front of my driveway is all marked up because of it. BUT i have no other choice. + im the hillbilly that does dryhops in the driveway anyways

I have a Moser spool and axles setup in my GN and it's barely noticeable on the street...The only time I can feel it is when doing a very sharp turn (like parking between two cars...). Other than that, no issue whatsoever. I even installed some seals inside the axle tubes to prevent oil leaking into the rear brakes. :wink:

Claude. :smile:

Installed a Moser spool years ago and never looked back , I destroyed an eaton posi (lasted 4 yrs.) with the transbrake , funny enough i've put more street miles with the spool than with the eaton unit no issues at all even driven in rain my only regret is not doing it sooner.

I like my spool too,,,,, also it must be nice to have a paved drive, i still have dirt diveway......

PM me if you are interested in converting to the 9". A bud of mine is selling one with a spool, 3.50 gears, and it's a full floater set up for a G body.