Split od planetaries in 4 places..

EYE-OPENER

I had a problem coming back from a cruise Sunday where if I tried to accelerate in od the car sounded like there was a bearing going bad someplace and felt it in the shifter and floorboard. I decided to yank the pan and wala..metal. So down the trans came. Dropped the converter off to get cut open and inspected (still waiting on call) and trans shop called and said clutches are showing a little wear...but, I split the od planetary and he hasn't really seen that before. Here's a pic and maybe somebody can throw an idea of what could have caused this. The trans is a PTS extreme fully built trans with 9-11 converter.

F79B9DC5-7D93-4861-9208-8BEB40113E85-6887-000010F405BC0DE3_zpsc28ef48a.jpg

The exact same thing happened to mine. What appeared to happen to mine was the planetary was coming apart and built up heat.? I lost all gears at once. It was a billet piece. I cleaned out all the metal and put my stocker from the original trans in. Thats been about five years ago and I haven't had a problem since. Something must have been off in the machining of the billet assembly.

What's weird is if I was out of od the car pulled and shifted fine. The trans was built in 06 and I guess it was bound to have something let go...just haven't seen anything similar in searching.

Any more pix? I see the four pinions . What broke? You say four places.
Tia

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm on my phone so I guess it just isn't big enough coupled with my "blindness". I'll pull it up when I get home.

I am torn on replacing with a good used carrier or scraping money for the billet setup...I don't plan on running this car at the strip, and if I keep the foot off the pedal in OD then is it necessary to go big on it? I don't want to be cheap....but is it really necessary?

Lots of pretty fast stuff running stock. Make sure the clearances on the pinions are in spec and the rollers are in good shape.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

This is very common and I've seen cracked splines in many of these over the years. The 3-4 shift accumulation may need to be increased or the 4th oil hole decreased. Very common with locked converter shifts under power also. I remember about 15 years ago replacing the failure prone forward shaft with one of Bruce's billets and the next time out I promptly blew the splines out of the OD carrier. After that I went with less 4th oil and maintained the 4th accum circuit. Haven't broke one since and had a factory GM one in my blue car for 3 years (10sec power) before i switched to a good aftermarket one.

Bison hit iron the head with how I think it happened..I was on the interstate and believe converter was locked...ripped into it and it spooled but didn't feel like it was going any faster...I think I'll go with the factory style one and be careful with how I treat her in od...