Crazy Issues

hiboom

Hiboom
Short Story ,Thought my stage one transmission went out, pulled it out upon further inspection discovered that the converter was bad.In the the mean time before I had a chance to remove the stage 1 I had the original transmission rebuilt (thinking I'd save time having it ready to go) installing the original I used a 9.5 lu converter that I had from another one of t types that was a 2800 stall so I decided to use it with my te 44 instead of my old faithful D 5 (quicker spool) I was pretty sure I had slide it far enough on the transmission engaging the pump ears had 1/2 between flexplate and converter I shimmed 1/4 leaving 1/4.For some crazy I was thinking the last time I used that converter the gap was more and I had to shim it even more so I took the bolts back out slide the converter back and forth to see if maybe i'd missed getting installed into the pump ears but no matter how I tried different positions I ended up with the same clearance.so I finished the instalation.Now being paranoid that I didn't get it all the way in I hooked a line pressure gauge checked pressure in all gears and everything was dead on as far as number readings.At that point I was comfortable that it must have engaged the pump. Now the test drive 1-2 shift about 15 mph felt soft almost couldn't fell it! 2-3 well sometimes seems to be more consistent when the shifter is in overdrive position sometimes goes into 4th but by the rpm don't think it locks the converter if i shift it manually 1-2 shift ok 2-3 won't shift put in od and it will shift to 3 but don't seem to shift to 4th if I downshift to 3rd and try to accelerate quickly it acts like its in neutral of slipping badly never shifts the same twice trans temp about 170 .Any suggestions of were to start first

any help what's anyone think reverify line pressures,drop pan check for parts in pan pull transmission replace converter anyone?If it was a paint or body issue I wouldn't even have to ask I done that for 30 years a transmission not so much kind of clue less it's kind of a weird situation,The guy that build it just underwent double hip replacement so he out for a couple of months I hate to bother him if its something i can fix

Couple questions.
Are you using the same valve body/gov combo in each trans? If they are different it could explain the different shift characteristics.
If you are getting good pressures, I would say the pump and pressure regulator is doing well. Accumulators, valve body accumulator springs, and valve body plate hole sizes could be affecting the shift firmness. The looser converter makes a difference in shift firmness.
If the trans clearances weren't setup well the clutches could have slipped and burned. That won't get better, as with a slipping band. Once it starts, it just gets worse.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Couple questions.
Are you using the same valve body/gov combo in each trans? If they are different it could explain the different shift characteristics.
If you are getting good pressures, I would say the pump and pressure regulator is doing well. Accumulators, valve body accumulator springs, and valve body plate hole sizes could be affecting the shift firmness. The looser converter makes a difference in shift firmness.
If the trans clearances weren't setup well the clutches could have slipped and burned. That won't get better, as with a slipping band. Once it starts, it just gets worse.

No the transmissions are two different animals thats for sure I just had rebuilt was original to the car with the correct vb the transmission guy took it apart and said there's nothing wrong with it .I told him I new that and wanted it overhauled before i put it back in .he put a shift kit system correction and calibration kit said it was supposed to help with a few of the known problems associated with the transmission.it just seems to be shifting so erratic some times not shifting at all from 2-3 and rpm 3000 at 55mph don't sound like 4th it all way shifts 1-2 at 10-15 or under heavy throttle it shifts into 2nd but harly every into 3rd just don't know where to start mite be multiple problems

Any chance he swapped to a different vb and/or governor?
Also could be a sticky tv valve.
Any idea who's kit he installed to "correct" the issues?
I'd start by disconnecting the tv cable at the throttle body and cycling it(pull it) with authority to clear any thing that might have lodged in it. Don't pull it out of the trans but use swift pulls.

used SK 200-4r-b,syskokit ( gil younger) the guy worked as gm tech and did nothing but gm transmission for 25 years I don't think he would change anything he insisted I set the tv cable with the pan off pretty easy to see the yellow paint and br on the valve body.I guess i'll verify line pressures tomorrow and drop the pan and have a look?

Did you have an external / auxiliary trans cooler and if so did you blow it out, clean or replace it after the converter went bad, the smallest amount of debris could cause issues within the valve body, sticking valves etc. Any time i have done any trans work, I blow out all lines, cooler and have even gone as far as adding an in-line trans filter.

Any chance he swapped to a different vb and/or governor?
Also could be a sticky tv valve.
Any idea who's kit he installed to "correct" the issues?
I'd start by disconnecting the tv cable at the throttle body and cycling it(pull it) with authority to clear any thing that might have lodged in it. Don't pull it out of the trans but use swift pulls.

do you think that could cause such erratic shifting it's really puzzling the line pressure were dead on with the manual recommendation the stage 1 had that neck snapping shifts this is more like my grandma's buick I hope it's the tv but it's never that simple with my stuff LOL maybe the gov spring came off I'm almost hoping I can drop the pan and find parts.

As Jim points out, any debris can goof up a vb valve. The tv may just need cleaned out. Have you talked to this tech about your symptoms?
I had several dealers work on mine before gm canceled my warranty and it never worked right with them goofing with it so I'm not having faith he knows about the 2004r.
A spring and balls in the pan could explain it.

As Jim points out, any debris can goof up a vb valve. The tv may just need cleaned out. Have you talked to this tech about your symptoms?
I had several dealers work on mine before gm canceled my warranty and it never worked right with them goofing with it so I'm not having faith he knows about the 2004r.
A spring and balls in the pan could explain it.

He is unavailable just had double hip surgery his wife is being anel about it and won't let him come to the phone or anything until at least feb. co i'm kind of on my own with him at the moment.

I'll check that tonight original I just checked at idle to make sure it was working before I took it off the lift I will check and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 126
that's enough to make you sick 3 miles on it new 100.00 B&M cooler new 12' metal braided lines converter and transmission

Attachments

• securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 111
Are you going in or going to wait on "the guy"?
I guess the tv wasn't raising pressure and some clutches got "sacrificed".

Yes looks like clutch material I'm pulling it today pretty discouraged at the moment I have the other transmission I removed that I don't think is hurt (pan was clean I flushed the cooler lines they were spot less even though I didn't reuse it) the converter splines took the hit on that don't know if I should buy a converter and put it back in or what.the bad thing the transmission I took to the guy to be build was shifting fine just wanted to freshen up before installing it

Well, I'm kinda the wrong guy to ask as I've had my share of trans probs and if I had the budget I would definately have one of the gurus put one together but with four kids and a wife that does domestic engineering, my budget ain't what it was when I bought the car. I can send you my notes and tell you what I did. David H is always helpful, ea posts great stuff, Jake used to, and we have a new sponsor who seems willing to help. And there are a bunch of us hobby type guys who have assembled our own. Let me know and ill send you more than you want to read on the pm. All stuff cutnpasted from this forum and others. Some conflickting info but I'm sure all have their own way that works.

Lonnie built a stage 1 for me several years ago I have no complaints at all it has was problely the most consistent part I've bought to date after trashing the converter I don't believe any debree when threw the transmission but I'm not sure the pan was clean so was the cooler can't deside to buy a converter and put the stage one back in or have the transmission taken apart looked at then put it in cars on a lift and eventually he will need his lift back shipping it across country takes time and money too

I just drop em in the drive way. 3 ft extention for the bell housing bolts n a northern freight trans jack.