speedo replacement

whitecobra98

Have the dash taken apart pretty easy...can't get aluminum piece where speefo cable attaches to off old dash ...help!!!!!!!

There is a spring clip behind the odometer/speedo head; just lift the spring tab up (towards the front of the car) and the assm. will separate from the cable collar.
Pretty easy.;)
On the digital dash, (not sure about analog) you have to unbolt the VSS optical (small 5 mm (IIRC) bolt) from the speedo head to get the cluster all the way out.

that f'er isnt budging...i can c it, and pushed it towards the front of the car and nothing comes apart...thats the only thing i can c that is keeping me from getting it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crappy pic, but here's the clip. Pull the black tab on top towards the speedo.

Attachments

• speedo clip 001.jpg
    speedo clip 001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 170
and btw thanks for the pic...i can c that on the replacement speedo and on the one in the car...im gonna give it another shot and pull the clip towards the speedo and c what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!! then im gonna start breaking ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, actually, it would be toward the rear of the car. You need to push the end of the tab down towards the shaft.

Definitely towards the speedo. You are ineffect lifting it off the cable. If all else fails, remove the clip. I think that's a 1/4" bolt holding it on.

try this been just as fustrated and this is what did

pop hood follow speedo cable (next to master cylinder I think)there might be a coupler/extender on speedo cable that you can unscrew and that will give a little more room to see the clip not sure which way clip goes just take your time and you will feel it and cable will just pop loose and when you put it back cable just locks back in when you line cable up

can you find couple on speedo cable under hood? if so unscrew and pull cable thru firewall enough to operate or remove as a whole with cable and put back with cable

That clip.will not budge.....any other ideas?

Push the clip in towards the speedometer, pull the cable out away from the speedometer, it will slip right out.

Also, the VSS pickup is right next to it, on both the digital and analog cars. 4mm nut driver and it's out in a hurry.

There is a spring clip behind the odometer/speedo head; just lift the spring tab up (towards the front of the car) and the assm. will separate from the cable collar.
Pretty easy.;)
On the digital dash, (not sure about analog) you have to unbolt the VSS optical (small 5 mm (IIRC) bolt) from the speedo head to get the cluster all the way out.

Sorry I said forward, when it is really back:redface: I don't know what would cause the spring to bind unless you pulled on the cable a lot and it's under load. Try pushing the speedo head in while pulling the spring clip back.

Sorry I said forward, when it is really back:redface: I don't know what would cause the spring to bind unless you pulled on the cable a lot and it's under load. Try pushing the speedo head in while pulling the spring clip back.

yup- you need to push the cable into the speedo (or the speedo into the cable...) to take the pressure of the clip.. then push the clip down and pull the cable away from the speedo (or speedo away from the cable...). sometimes it fights you, and only comes apart when it can sense that you are ready to push the car into the street and light it on fire..

yup- you need to push the cable into the speedo (or the speedo into the cable...) to take the pressure of the clip.. then push the clip down and pull the cable away from the speedo (or speedo away from the cable...). sometimes it fights you, and only comes apart when it can sense that you are ready to push the car into the street and light it on fire..

yep that was about to happen, thats y i walked away