Where to find an external VSS

YBLEGAL

I have an old GNX style dash and my VSS that is located between the two speedometer cables is bad. Does anyone know where I can source a new one or get this rebuilt?

Is it a VDO gauge?

They do make the VSS units still. You can also buy a GPS sending unit and install that to use as signal to the speedo.

Is it a VDO gauge?

They do make the VSS units still. You can also buy a GPS sending unit and install that to use as signal to the speedo.
I will have to check if it is a VDO gauge when I get home. I know that the guy who had the car before me put the dash in around 1999. Good to know that if it is a VDO they still make the VSS unit.

As far as a GPS sending unit. Is this something that is a universal item? Any recommendations on a good quality one?

Yeah VDO makes one for $142 that will work on an electric speedo gauge. That is how I am going to get mine working again.

I bought a autometer vss generator for my station wagon. Installed between 2 cables.
Still have to wire it up though

I have been looking at that. The biggest complaint from the reviews are that the GPS needs to see the sky. Guess that means having that black box sitting on top of the dash.
I have one of those stupid dealer installed astro roofs that I wont ever try to open due to not wanting to wear it out and source new parts for it. Maybe it can be hidden up there?!

Probably so. Ive put GPS receivers up in dashs before for head units with nav and never had an issue.