Speeding ticket! Rant

Frequently when running code 3 (lights/siren) people in front of you literally just slam on their brakes and stop or slow down and must think something like "Uh oh, he's pulling me over...I'd better slow down and maybe he'll change his mind." Just hauling ass, it's easier to manuever, since people still drive and not just pay attention to the pretty blue lights.

My sister called me a South Florida Pace Car once...I called her up and told her I was doing 63 on the interstate (65 speed limit) and there was 1/2 mile worth of traffic behind me and not a soul in front. I bet THOSE people wouldn't have complained if I went 75. :)

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Lets face it, the Police are above the law, and speeding tickets are given 95% of the time for revenue generation ONLY.
WRONG! Perhpas in some jurisdictions I'd say it's way overboard to say 95% or even close. Do you have any facts to back up this claim?

Originally posted by 1badTTA
I have followed a police car doing 15 over through city streets with no lights or sirens, (40mph limit, stoplights every mile) and he waited for every red light. If it was imperative for him to be somewhere anytime soon, he would have turned on his lights to go through the intersection (it was at night, almost no traffic) and not just waited, but he didn't. Then he would speed once again to the next red light.
Wrong. Certain states require you to acheive a certain level of urgancy before blowing traffic signals with emergency equipement, and make no mistake all our actions are recorded via video/audio and are held personally responsible for those actions.

You need to get yourself familiar with the need to try and hit green lights vs. blowing lights with lights on (which almost cause a lot of accidents by the way) and getting yourself where you need quickly and safely, but not a break-neck speed jeopardizing innocents. Again, you're looking at this from a highly one-sided perspective and not getting the "big picture". Do you know it wasn't a call of a shoplifter in custody giving security a hard time, but not getting physical? Is that cause to endanger the public by forcing traffic to unexpectedly stop at green lights for a "non-emergency" but needing to get there quickly??....NO! Could you imagine the lawsuit if someone rearended another motoroist, or swerved and hit a pedestrian while slamming on their brakes at a green light to yield the right of way to you responding to a non-emergency call? I'd lose my house, cars and retirement to say the least. You don't have Carte-Blanche to go to any call thru traffic lights just because you have emergency equipment, there's a tremendous responsibility when using that stuff.

Don't take this offensively, but you really don't know what you're talking about unless you've seen both sides regarding this debate.

This isn't to say there aren't abuses, but I believe that's minimal. Abuses of power happen in EVERY profession and when it comes down to it, cops are just people and fallible.

My experience tells me MOST of my co-workers are highly discriminatory with the use of the emergency equipment. We're highly trained in the use of that equipment, relevant state laws and liability associated with it's use. Are you?

Don't give me that own up to it crap

Cops speed when not responding to calls and they speed in their own cas while off duty. They just badge their way out when they get pulled over.

Selective enforcement of the law is a more serious crime than speeding so I am sure that you cops will go to the DA and make a confession about violating the law.

Well, how about it?

Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

Originally posted by Blown&Injected
Cops speed when not responding to calls and they speed in their own cas while off duty. They just badge their way out when they get pulled over.

Selective enforcement of the law is a more serious crime than speeding so I am sure that you cops will go to the DA and make a confession about violating the law.

Well, how about it?

My point exactly.

How many times have you Officers "mistakenly" pulled over one of your own and let him off without a ticket? Better question is how many tickets have you written to other officers?

You make very good and well written points.

Thanks, so do you. That's what makes the discussion interesting ;)

I see your motivation to lessen the damage I just don't agree with doing it. If you got caught going XX over the limit, you were wrong....pay what you owe and go on with life....YOU WERE WRONG.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I was clearly wrong, but I don't think trying to minimize my damages is necessarily skirting my responsibility.

It just seems everyone wants to defer responsibility away from themselves. At least in my area it's not about $ generation as I see the magisitrates find traffic offenders responsible for the ticket but reduce their fines from $90 - $35, or $135 - $35. But the points still stick, they can't fiddle with that by law.

You could be Al Unser of Jeff Gordon on that 55mph interstate, but 55mph is 55mph. If you think it's too low then you must contact your states Dept. of Transportation.

What pisses off cops is when they're dragged into court on GOOD tickets they know were issued. And especially if a ticket was written AND given a break but the defendant is STILL going to court...I mean c'mon, how many breaks do you want?

Moral:
You did it, you pay for it. If you didn't then fight'em.

I know it's got to be frustrating. But don't blame the people who are excercising their right to appear in court. I know some take advantage, but that's the risk you run when everyone has the same rights. Some people make a living out of exploiting the system.

Be safe......

Jim

Badge= get out of ticket free. That I KNOW is true. Happens all the time. They were talking about it on Bubba The Love Sponge mornig show (this week I think). They were pissed about how Florida State PD officers were GIVING tickets to other officers. Thumbs up to the Florida Highway Patrol. Treat everyone as equals if you are going to write tickets. If you're doing favors then don't ticket at all.

Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

Cops speed when not responding to calls and they speed in their own cas while off duty.
That's what I call a factless accustaion, can you back this statement up with facts? I can only speak for what I personally see and know what calls are taking place at the time. I have not seen any partner speeding over 5 mph while casually driving on patrol. I personally lead by example and use my turn signals, headlights and obey the speed limit everywhere within a few mph, human error and speedo inaccuracy is always a factor.

Let me say this, one of our deputies was arrested for drunk driving about 7 months ago after she was sitting at a red light and was rearended. She was barely over the limit but was in the wrong and is paying for it. You don't hear about that stuff since PD's generally like to quash that from the public eye since it's bad PR. Another fact of life not exclusive to the law-enforcement community, it happens a lot in the private sector as well.

They just badge their way out when they get pulled over.
Some do and some don't but there's no question this happens. But you must know only about 1/2 of those exceeding the posted limit pulled over for speeding actually get ticketed for speeding. And as a point of fact, not everyone who gets stopped for drunk driving gets hauled off to jail, unless they're totally BLOTTO or with mulitiple offenses. There's a lot more descretion on violations that you're making out. People complain about "harassment" (tickets) much more than those who've been let off. Keep in mind professional courtesy is extended in almost every profession. If you work for GM or car dealer you get a car discount, if you work for a mortgage company or bank you get a better interest rate or discount on application fees cops don't, if you work for a boat dealer you get discounts on boats and related parts, get what I'm saying. Point is, every profession/job has it's perks....life isn't fair but it's reality. Granted there are some on patrol who ticket "their mother" so not all with badges automatically get let off. Those days are past. Again, you hear ONE SIDE OF THE STORY!

Well, how about it?
"Selective enforcement" is NO violation of the law, it's descretion unless you can prove otherwise. It'd be different if cops were covering up felonies for other cops and that's just plain WRONG and illegal. But I can assure you cops extend the discretion to John-Q-Citizens too. I've done it and seen it MANY times, you just don't hear about it and since you don't hear about those exampels, it musn't exist. I've let regular "Joes" go with no driver's licenses to display [though their validity is verified via LEIN check], expired plates, no seat belts, speeding, illegal window tint and on and on, there's nothing illegal about it and it IS my descretion. It depends on attitude, driving record and demeanor. If someone rolls their illegally tinted window down, pulls off the shoulder away from traffic, is courteous, shows me their hands, acknowledges their error and assures they'll attempt to correct their habits it goes a LONG way towards a warning and not only with me, but most of those I work with. It also helps that when it's 10° and the offender's story at the window is as brief as possible earns brownie points.

Anyway, I've gone to great lengths to explain away your accusations. I'd like to hear FACTS regarding yours.

Does the clarify things? :confused:

So I am asking all the officers in this thread, how many times have you either not given a ticket because it was another officer, or shown your badge and gotten out of a ticket?

Wow! Did i start all this? I was just venting because i have to pay. I never said i didnt do it!! You play you pay but i just didnt want to pay right now!

The cop knew i was speeding and i know i was speeding i dont even think we exchange 5 words. Ive heard about this guy and he is a straight arrow. He is fair and really gives no breaks when he pulls you over. Because if he is pulling you over you probably deserve the ticket. I did and im sure i will get more before im done.

Officers, a question...

So, to change this a little, to the officers out there, what type of answers to your questions might make you think about either reducing the offence or possibly even giving a warning instead???

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Louis, sorry to hear about the ticket pal. I'm with ya, bro. I get pulled over approximately every 15 seconds, except when I'm driving my Honda (hmmm....).

TurboJimmy---*clap clap clap* An exceedingly eloquent statement about the way I feel about this whole issue. Most speeding tickets are simply revenue-generating cash cows, plain and simple. Bureaucrats and law enforcement types LOVE to cry the "safety" song, but it pays for all those nice cars and nice court buildings, etc.

Here's a neat example. I got pulled over in the GN a few weeks ago because I rolled through a stop sign. Ok, I did it. But here's the circumstances--I was at a lake entrance of a huge park, in the evening, on a weeknight, with no one (and I mean no one) around. That's because it's a very sparsely traveled two lane blacktop. The stop was a "T," and I could see OVER A MILE in the other direction, so I rolled it. The cop, who was hiding just off a side street behind a bunch of trees, was just waiting to catch people doing that very thing. No one around, no traffic, exceedingly good visability all around, etc. You trying to tell me he's looking out for my safety? Ha ha ha. Puh-leze. It's a cash game, and that's that.

I respect cops and the job they do, but THAT kind of "work" is just shabby and cheap.

If safety were really a legitimate excuse, er, I mean reason, then I'd see DOZENS of cars pulled over EVERY morning during rush hours as people blow by me at 85 mph on the interstate on the way to work. But stay late just one night past 7:00 pm and try to get away with that, and there's 3 patrol cars sitting there waiting for ya. Bah. Funny how I don't even NEED a radar detector on my 40 mile each way commute, but only when driving "off peak" hours....

I got pulled over once literally for nothing. Cop had seen a black car similar to mine speeding in the area and wanted to see if it was me. When he approached the car I kept my hands in plain sight (I keep a gun in the car when I'm in it) and when I opened my wallet he say my tin. Still wanted to see ID and such, but didn't write any tickets. Honestly there was nothing he could have written for...was kicking over rocks.

As far as writing for BS violations, it's still something I argue with other guys about. Motormen get mad at me, we'll do a big wolf pack style radar trap and I'll let people go or write em for no proof of insurance instead of speeding. If the violation is something I do myself, I don't write for it....unless the guy is a real ass. SW 10th St is 35 mph...everyone does 50...including me...so I never run radar there. Not all cops believe that way.

Have I ever written a cop a ticket? Nope...only pulled one over once and it was a Sergeant. Last week I witnessed a guy start a fight with someone else...and when myself and my partner broke it up, the aggressor went to jail. And where did he work? Metro Dade PD. He broke the law, he went for a ride.

BoostKillsStress: BE FRIENDLY!!! Even if the cop is an ass, try to be friendly and helpful. Some cops will write you no matter what. Some will try to write for a lesser offense (like me). If you're speeding but that's it...you'll get the speeding ticket. If you're speeding and have no insurance, I'll write you the insurance ticket and cut you a break on the speeding. Other times, when someone is exceptionally cool, they get a "Get out of here, drive safely."

You got that right Doug. Revenue generating. A couple years ago in Ky they changed the laws so instead of only being able to take traffic school (no points) every two years they raised the fines and said you could go to traffic school once every 12 months.

So now every 12 months you can get a traffic violation and pay more money but your insurance wont go up and you can pay the higher fine each year. Its a win win situation with only the insurance companies loosing. Its about time they take a little loss.

Re: Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Some do and some don't but there's no question this happens.

TT/A1233 asks "can you back this statement up with facts?"

Testimony is evidence and I refer you to your own testimony above. "...there is no question this happens."

Your post was so full of it I am going to need some more time to tear it apart - after the Sunday morning cruise if I have not already missed it.

BRB,

Re: Re: Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

Your post was so full of it I am going to need some more time to tear it apart -
BRB,

That's not right. If you disagree, fine...make your points...but this shouldn't be a malicious argument. Nobody will totally agree with one another here, as everyone is biased. I'm surprised TT/A has stayed on this thread so long with all the flaming going on.

If ya'll are gonna argue about it, keep it a friendly debate...though I believe it's a moot point.

Re: Re: Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

TT/A1233 asks "can you back this statement up with facts?"

Testimony is evidence and I refer you to your own testimony above. "...there is no question this happens."

Your post was so full of it I am going to need some more time to tear it apart - after the Sunday morning cruise if I have not already missed it.

BRB,
You're taking two different "quotes" I made from two different statements and combining them to try to prove your point.

Your disdain and rage is blinding you in an attempt to twist this whole thread.

As our friend has already admitted, he did what the police ticketed him for and is ready to deal with it and not weasel out of the consequences like some in here would do.

It's all about personal responsibility which some in here apparently have none of. Police officers are arguably held to the highest scruitny and standard than most professions. What other profession has their actions recorded in full color and audio for their entire shift?...none. Officer's actions can be reviewed with a fine tooth comb by attorneys, jurys, the media, prosecutors, citizens and supervisors.

I'm out of this one since a select few are taking it downhill in a hurry......what a shame. PM me if you insist on continuing this "discussion".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't give me that own up to it crap

Originally posted by WakkoSS
That's not right. If you disagree, fine...make your points...but this shouldn't be a malicious argument. Nobody will totally agree with one another here, as everyone is biased. I'm surprised TT/A has stayed on this thread so long with all the flaming going on.

If ya'll are gonna argue about it, keep it a friendly debate...though I believe it's a moot point.

I will keep it friendly. It is easy to be friendly when debating one that is stretching sooooo far. All I said was that I was going to debunk the BS.

I was not referring to the OP. I am not blind with rage - this shows your prejudice as I exhibited no rage just facts that you admitted to. No out of context quotes. I said it happens and you said "there is no doubt it happens"

You said selective enforcement must be proved but complain about people that insist that proof be offered in the case of speeding.

I am not upset about traffic enforcement although there are some dumb ideas about aggressive driving

I said it happens and you said "there is no doubt it happens"

Well, this is a big country. If you consider how many cities and people and cops there are, then even if you consider a rate of occurance of 1%, then that would be a lot of incidences. How many, I couldn't even guess. At a low rate of 1%, it probably wouldn't even raise anyones attention, so naturally, it is higher than than. 95%? Probably not. How much then? I doubt anyone would put the time & $$ to find out.

What I've seen. A Lieutenant driving DWI has a single car accident. At this point, she was demoted to lowest rank and if she's convicted (innocent until proven guilty?) she still might lose her job. I've had co-workers to say "If a State Trooper pulls you over, don't tell them you're a cop. You'll have a better chance talking your way out of a ticket that way." In my limited experience I have not yet pulled over another police officer. This is North Carolina. The last two times I was pulled over in Virginia, I was let go with warnings. Once was @60 in 45, the other was 70 in 55, long before I had any intentions to give law enforcement a try.

I remember the the 70 in 55, it was a country road w/ basically no shoulders. Fortunately for me, there was an intersection just ahead, so I pulled off the main road onto this side road, far enough for the VA trooper to pull in behind me out of the main roadway. I had my license & registration ready to hand over when he got to my window. I didn't see any reason to argue and I was surprised when he let me go. Why did he let me go? Looking at it now, (from both sides of the badge) I did everything he would have wanted me to do. I always kept my hands where he could see them. I didn't give him any attitude. The big thing was probably getting clear of the highway. Did I mention I was surprised when he handed me back my license and registration and told me to slow it down?

I think quality of service also varies with geographical area. From what little I've seen, I consider NC to have pretty high professional standards comparative to the Northeast - NY, New England, etc.

Someone was asking for additional input...

:) Turbojimmy is doing a good job.

I'll keep quiet on this and say again "I'll fight every ticket." This mainly to make up for some of the BS tickets I shouldn't have recieved.

I went to court one day to find out why my license was suspended and come to find out I had 2 licenses suspended. What I'd like to know is how you can get 2 licenses suspended. I talked with every person at the courthouse that would listen and nobody could give me an explanation.

Last ticket I got was on election day (go bush) and i was going to vote. I pulled right into the gas station to pick up a pack of smokes, got out of the car, closed the door, opened my wallet and didn't have any money. So, I got back in the car and pulled right out on to the road that intersected the road I was previously on. (gas station on the corner) I got pulled over about a mile down the road for cutting through the gas station to avoid the light. Cop.."you in a hurry?" Me... "no, why?" I tried to talk calmly to the cop, but he definately had some power trip going on and wouldn't have any of it. So, I fought it, had to pay like $20 in court costs, cuz that azz wrote me a ticket for something like $75. I mean I can't think of a more BS ticket than that.

Based on what you described, your case(cutting through a gas station parking lot) should have been dismissed. I dunno, perhaps you have to "know" how to properly request the case to be dismissed though. What was the final outcome? Reduced plea?