Speeding ticket! Rant

rag93vette

So today on Sunday afternoon got pulled over in my fiances Ford Ranger doing 72 in a 55. I was just mad as ever about it. I was on an 8 lane interstate with very little traffic so i knew when i came over the hill and i saw him i was in for it.

I usually drive this road during rush hours and the traffic moves between 70-75. I see this Camaro with people pulled over all the time and i guess i wasnt thinking.

I guess i shouldnt be mad cause i speed all the time and havent been pulled over in about 5 years. And for many years everyday i drove at least up to 100 and sometimes over. So what am i doing so upset? Better at 72 than at 140-145!!!

Now since i wasted my traffic school for the next 12 months i will have to hold it back when im driving the Corvette or the Grand National.

So for 150 at least i wont have any points just a waste of time and money!

Ahhh the price we pay to fulfill our need for speed. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt too.

I got written for 110MPH once years ago. I was actually clocked at 153MPH (in my Vette) but the cop wrote me for "ONLY" 110MPH so they didn't need to impound the car. Nice guy he was. :)

haha, if i ever went by a cop at 153 i would just keep on goin 153 til the next exit. he already got you doin it, you may as well pretend you didnt see him. you got a better chance making that next exit without him catching up, as long as hes not in one of those ls1 cop cars.

As I always say, "fight the ticket". He busted you fair and square, but I will always fight the ticket.

Been down that road too. Got a ticket for 75 in a 50 (not as bad as some), in a construction zone, failure to signal, and clicket-or-ticket(DE law). $128 fine, had to take attitudinal dynamics of driving class, another $100. Oh well. It's only money. Life goes on.

Sorry to hear about it.

Scott
Mr.UPS

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
As I always say, "fight the ticket". He busted you fair and square, but I will always fight the ticket.
Why? Something's wrong when you get whacked fair and square when you're clearly wrong, get caught then try to deny responsibility.

If you're in the wrong and get caught, take your medicine like a man and go on with your life. If you're being set up or they got the wrong guy then by all means fight it, but he's admitted the fact he got pinched for something he said he did....Geez.....

What ever happened to TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS? No one's responsible for anytihng anymore except mostly for the older generation. In my experience the older generation is much more apt to admit when they're wrong and face the consequences.

I stopped an older lady the other day for getting in the right turn only lane at a red light then went straight ahead nailiing the gas when the light turned green. Clearly improper lane use and it was very refresing to hear someone actually ADMIT they were wrong. Usually everyone has an excuse like "so and so does it so why can't I?". Point is, don't worry about other people - worry about yourself and if you get popped for something you know you shouldn't have done then it's time to pay for your error and learn from it.

Think about it....but go ahead with the flames anyway.

I agree.. No one takes responsibility for their actions. If you got a ticket, and don't like it. DON'T SPEED. I have no pity for you, and hope you do as said above, grow up and deal with it like an adult.

haha, if i ever went by a cop at 153 i would just keep on goin 153 til the next exit. he already got you doin it, you may as well pretend you didnt see him. you got a better chance making that next exit without him catching up,

A friend of mine tried this one morning on his way to work.He was doing around 90 in a 70.When he saw the cop he just hammered it( he has a 3000GT VR4 ) He hit the next exit and took off with the cop in chase waaayyyy back.He topped a hill @ 140mph and blew a head gasket,slowing him way down .Long story short:Got busted for a couple felonies,spent 10 days in jail $1800 in fines and a broke 3000GT VR4.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Why? Something's wrong when you get whacked fair and square when you're clearly wrong, get caught then try to deny responsibility.

If you're in the wrong and get caught, take your medicine like a man and go on with your life. If you're being set up or they got the wrong guy then by all means fight it, but he's admitted the fact he got pinched for something he said he did....Geez.....

What ever happened to TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS? No one's responsible for anytihng anymore except mostly for the older generation. In my experience the older generation is much more apt to admit when they're wrong and face the consequences.

I stopped an older lady the other day for getting in the right turn only lane at a red light then went straight ahead nailiing the gas when the light turned green. Clearly improper lane use and it was very refresing to hear someone actually ADMIT they were wrong. Usually everyone has an excuse like "so and so does it so why can't I?". Point is, don't worry about other people - worry about yourself and if you get popped for something you know you shouldn't have done then it's time to pay for your error and learn from it.

Think about it....but go ahead with the flames anyway.

I can see taking your medicine "like a man" if you get caught doing something stupid - like using the right-only lane as your personal passing lane. But 72 in a 55? Come on. Most speed limits are artificially low to bring in the $ for the municipalities - particularly 55 MPH on a modern interstate.

Fight every ticket you get. 9 times out of 10 you can improve your situation. The state could care less about your speeding - they just want your money. Every time I've been to court I've been able to plead down to a lesser offense that carries just a fine and no points. I'm willing to pay for my "mistakes". How much I think I should pay for my "mistakes" and what it says on the back of the ticket are two different things. Paying the fine without going to court is like paying full sticker for a new car. Why anyone would simply bend over and sign a ticket and mail it in with a check is beyond me.

The worst that can happen is that the prosecuter won't cut a deal and you wind up with what you walked in with. You usually get *something* just for showing up, though.

Jim

If you think about it, going to court for a ticket that is within 10 to 15 mph of the speed limit is a good way to make sure the LAW is RESPONSIBLE also. There needs to be a check and balance system for everyone. I'm glad that officers are pulling many people over to check for trouble, big METH problem here and everywhere I'm sure. But I just think it bs to get a ticket for 10 over when those stops are made.

If you request a jury trial, I would think your odds are good for a ticket that is not major. Of course I just took the $40 court supervision option ;), they get their money, I keep my points, and everyones happy:D

Originally posted by turbojimmy
I can see taking your medicine "like a man" if you get caught doing something stupid - like using the right-only lane as your personal passing lane. But 72 in a 55? Come on. Most speed limits are artificially low to bring in the $ for the municipalities - particularly 55 MPH on a modern interstate.

Jim
Both examples the drivers were clearly in the wrong. You're trying to minimize damage by saying like I quoted "I was only going XX over like everyone else, I don't deserve this". You got it, you deserved it...end of story. Question of the day is; IS IT WRONG and SHOULD HAVE HE BEEN GOING 12 OVER? Obviously the answer is NO. Bottom line...."Is going 12 over the posted limit illegal...." YES. He got pinched for 12 over and should pay accordingly thus he's taking his medicine. We have long forgotten how to look in the mirror for the SOLE source of our driving problems. Stay in the right lane and go the speed limit like I do...I'll never worry about getting pulled over, EVER.

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Fight every ticket you get. 9 times out of 10 you can improve your situation. The state could care less about your speeding - they just want your money. Every time I've been to court I've been able to plead down to a lesser offense that carries just a fine and no points. I'm willing to pay for my "mistakes". How much I think I should pay for my "mistakes" and what it says on the back of the ticket are two different things. Paying the fine without going to court is like paying full sticker for a new car. Why anyone would simply bend over and sign a ticket and mail it in with a check is beyond me.

Jim
Here comes the personal accountability side. I don't think I deserve it and I'm not gonna pay that, it should be reduced. WHY? For once, the police got it right and you were in the wrong, end of story. The rules are not ambiguous....SPEED LIMIT 55. That's hard to miss. You may feel the justice system is about $ but that's what gets people's attention. What would you consider, a barter system. Bring in 2 goats and we'll call it even? Let me assure you the police DO care about speed and improper turns since we're the ones going to the accidents caused by this neglegence. The judges in the sterile courtroom don't have to witness HUMAN BEINGS dying 2 feet away from you when they're trying to talk. Seeing this happen (and I have) only makes you take on traffic idiocy more agressive and want to stop stupditiy before it kills more. Let me assure you that your speed kills!

If you're willing to pay 1/2 of your mistakes then you're somewhat there, but still think it's a game to win. It's no game, you got caught this time and you should pay what it's worth. What gives you the right to only foot 1/2 the bill?

Driving 12 over the limit isn't like buying a new car at sticker price. You're an innocent customer seeking the best deal. You're not a law violator seeking to minimize financial loss due to your own neglegent actions.

I must ask, when was the last time you acutually got caught by your boss, or significant other and instead of taking that huge horse pill and the damage that goes with it, tried to take the low road by say "it wasn't me" or whatever so you could minimize the damage. YOU DID IT, FESS UP TO IT, TAKE YOUR MEDICINE AND GET IT OVER WITH. You'll have much more respect by those who come in contact with. They'll know you're a stand up guy. Right now it sounds like you're of the weasel type. The simple truth is "YOU PLAY, YOU PAY".

I love seeing your kind in court. The magistrates just roll their eyes listening to some song & dance about a sick mother or late for school, wasn't familiar with the area, or just going with traffic. Then it's "Deputy do you have anything further. No your Hornor". "Pay at the counter, I'm finding you responsible based on the testimony today".

BAM! CASE CLOSED!! NEXT!!!

MORAL OF THE STORY....go the speed limit, check all your bulbs, don't put on unnecessarily colored lights on the car, don't illegally tint your windows and don't put the newest fad smoked license plate over your license plate and drive normally, what's the point!!! You're just playing Roulette, then'll complain when you get pinched.

Flame Away....

I'll never worry about getting pulled over, EVER.

I don't worry about it either.

Here comes the personal accountability side. I don't think I deserve it and I'm not gonna pay that, it should be reduced. WHY? For once, the police got it right and you were in the wrong, end of story. The rules are not ambiguous....SPEED LIMIT 55.

Don't get wrong - I think that particular rule is set up for revenue generation, not the protection of the public but I don't view all traffic laws that way, nor all speed limits. 25 in a residential area, for example, actually seems fast sometimes. The courts are a means of helping people who think they've been treated unfairly by the law. 55 on a modern interstate is ridiculous. Cars have come lightyears in technology since the national 55 MPH speed limit was imposed. The laws are to protect stupid people from themselves, now things like ABS, tuned suspensions, computer aided traction, tire technology etc. take a lot of the risk out of higher speeds. I'm not saying everyone should be driving 85 MPH everywhere they go, but I am saying a 72 MPH ticket is BS.

You may feel the justice system is about $ but that's what gets people's attention. What would you consider, a barter system. Bring in 2 goats and we'll call it even?

It is about revenue generation. The amount of money being charged for most traffic offenses is not enough to get most people's attention. It is enough, however, when you have enough volume to fill the coffers of the municipality. I know you want (need, actually, given your profession) to make this a black-and-white argument but the reality is that laws are set up so that some offenses are more egregious than others. It allows judges and prosecuters to decide who should be punished and who simply pays a "tax".

What I propose, if speeding is really so dangerous; if speeding is such an outragous crime, if it's such a blight on society that you take cars away from people. Revoke licenses. Mandatory jail time. Things like that get your attention.

Let me assure you the police DO care about speed and improper turns since we're the ones going to the accidents caused by this neglegence. The judges in the sterile courtroom don't have to witness HUMAN BEINGS dying 2 feet away from you when they're trying to talk. Seeing this happen (and I have) only makes you take on traffic idiocy more agressive and want to stop stupditiy before it kills more. Let me assure you that your speed kills!

Realistically, how many people are killed as the result of going 72 in a 55? How many people are killed as the result of going 50 in a 55? Is the 17 MPH difference the difference between life and death? I doubt it. What's the threshold? I don't know, I don't think anyone really does. So we set speed limits to allow for a range of behaviors. This is why I can blow by a cop at least once a week on my way to work going 70+ in a 55. 80 in a 65. During rush hour, driving any slower actually impedes the flow of traffic, which is breaking another law. It would be great to get behind some of the "speed kills" statistics. What speeds were these people "dying 2 feet away from you" traveling at? What put them in this situation? Inattention? Hit by someone else? Debris in the road? I'd argue that there are way too many factors in an accident to blame speed entirely. There are many that say the 65 MPH highways are more dangerous, there are many that contradict those statistics. Unbelted passengers in SUVs are skewing the fatality statistics. Injuries on 65 MPH highways are down while deaths are up. But if you consider the popularity of SUVs, the lower safety standards, idiots who don't buckle up, and the higher probability of a roll over you'd find that 65 MPH highways are safer.

If you're willing to pay 1/2 of your mistakes then you're somewhat there, but still think it's a game to win. It's no game, you got caught this time and you should pay what it's worth. What gives you the right to only foot 1/2 the bill?

The law gives me that right. It gives me my day in court. Everyone should take advantage of it.

Driving 12 over the limit isn't like buying a new car at sticker price. You're an innocent customer seeking the best deal. You're not a law violator seeking to minimize financial loss due to your own neglegent actions.

I didn't say driving 12 over the limit is like buying a new car at sticker price. I'm drawing a distinction between the law and the fine. The law is created to collect the fine. I'm not arguing the fact that the law was broken and that you should pay. I'm saying that what you pay is negotiable.

I must ask, when was the last time you acutually got caught by your boss, or significant other and instead of taking that huge horse pill and the damage that goes with it, tried to take the low road by say "it wasn't me" or whatever so you could minimize the damage. YOU DID IT, FESS UP TO IT, TAKE YOUR MEDICINE AND GET IT OVER WITH. You'll have much more respect by those who come in contact with. They'll know you're a stand up guy. Right now it sounds like you're of the weasel type. The simple truth is "YOU PLAY, YOU PAY".

Caught doing what? You're saying that people who speed or break traffic laws also commit other "crimes" and don't own up to them? Holy cow! You're really up there on your high horse. If you must know, I attribute my personal and professional success to taking responsibility for my own actions. Everything I do is carefully calculated, I'm a pretty risk-averse individual. If I do take a risk, and it doesn't work out, I'm the first to admit I f'd it up. Honestly, in corporate America you earn the respect of your peers and superiors by taking responsibility. It seems like a really simple formula, but the reality is while everyone else is dodging responsibility or covering up their misdeeds those that don't do that stick out. But we're really digressing here....

I love seeing your kind in court. The magistrates just roll their eyes listening to some song & dance about a sick mother or late for school, wasn't familiar with the area, or just going with traffic. Then it's "Deputy do you have anything further. No your Hornor". "Pay at the counter, I'm finding you responsible based on the testimony today".

I'm not sure what "my kind" is. I don't make excuses for my actions - I never have. All the judge wants to hear is whether or not you did it. It's pretty cut and dry, as you've pointed out. Did you speed? Yes. How could you argue otherwise? Radar is really tough to argue against. I have successfully argued against a careless driving ticket (it was total BS, though you'll find that hard to believe from "my kind"). The judge doesn't care whether you did it or not. He knows you did it; you know you did it. He wants to know what you're willing to pay. You talk to the prosecuter beforehand and see what kind of deal you can cut. They don't want to be there all night, nor do you. I've had a 100% success rate with the prosecuters. I'd never go before a judge and argue that I wasn't speeding - it's suicide.

MORAL OF THE STORY....go the speed limit, check all your bulbs, don't put on unnecessarily colored lights on the car, don't illegally tint your windows and don't put the newest fad smoked license plate over your license plate and drive normally, what's the point!!! You're just playing Roulette, then'll complain when you get pinched.

My points are with regard to speeding. I'm not questioning any other laws (though some I could). It's convenient for you to lump it all together to get the most bang for your argument buck.

Look, I have all the respect in the world for cops. You've got a tough job and quite frankly I couldn't do it. My grandfather is a cop, my uncle's a cop, my friends are cops. I know it's frustrating to be out there writing tickets while the courts keep letting people off. I think you need to take a look at why that's happening, that's all. (hint: it's because *some* tickets are BS) It's your job to write them, I know, but the justice system as set up an avenue of appeals that works for the public. The towns get their money, the public's inconvenience is minimized.

Jim

Flame Away....

PS: None of this is intended as a flame or to offend. If you look at my history here, you'll find that "my kind" isn't the flaming sort.

You make very good and well written points.

I see your motivation to lessen the damage I just don't agree with doing it. If you got caught going XX over the limit, you were wrong....pay what you owe and go on with life....YOU WERE WRONG.

It just seems everyone wants to defer responsibility away from themselves. At least in my area it's not about $ generation as I see the magisitrates find traffic offenders responsible for the ticket but reduce their fines from $90 - $35, or $135 - $35. But the points still stick, they can't fiddle with that by law.

You could be Al Unser of Jeff Gordon on that 55mph interstate, but 55mph is 55mph. If you think it's too low then you must contact your states Dept. of Transportation.

What pisses off cops is when they're dragged into court on GOOD tickets they know were issued. And especially if a ticket was written AND given a break but the defendant is STILL going to court...I mean c'mon, how many breaks do you want?

Moral:
You did it, you pay for it. If you didn't then fight'em.

You make very good and well written points.

But the points still stick, they can't fiddle with that by law.

What pisses off cops is when they're dragged into court on GOOD tickets they know were issued. And especially if a ticket was written AND given a break but the defendant is STILL going to court...I mean c'mon, how many breaks do you want?

Moral:
You did it, you pay for it. If you didn't then fight'em.

I believe in IL that you will not be given points if you request the option of "court supervision", a $40 option that the States Attourney office offers, no conviction. They really just want the money. There are tons of little bergs here that support their one car department with revenue-generating speeding tickets.

As of recent in my small town area, there has been a big increase in law enforcement due to the Meth problem, and I still think many borderline tickets are just reasons to check for drugs. Which is fine, except for the ticket! I'm glad there is a jury trial provision for tickets, even though I'm not going to take the time off for it. It's a great check and balance method in our legal system.

I love it when cops get behind you in the left lane. You're doing 65 (the speed limit in CT). They get about 2 feet from your bumper and stay there untill you move over. No lights, no sirens, no call to respond to. Once you pull over he's gone, very gone. What gets me is that this will be the same douche that pulls you over for going 75. He was just doing 85 when he passed you. A little ypocritical, no?

F' em. http://www.k40.com/Products/Radar/UndetectableDualRemote.html

Originally posted by Bens87tr
They get about 2 feet from your bumper and stay there untill you move over. No lights, no sirens, no call to respond to. Once you pull over he's gone, very gone. What gets me is that this will be the same douche that pulls you over for going 75. He was just doing 85 when he passed you. A little ypocritical, no?

F' em. http://www.k40.com/Products/Radar/UndetectableDualRemote.html
How do you know they're not responding to a call? Are you listening to a scanner in your car? There are MANY beneficial reasons to respond to certain calls without going lights/siren. You're only seeing things thru the eyes of the motorist, not the one in the patrol car. People act like complete NUTS when they see lights in their rear view mirror....sometimes it's best to keep'em off and have people cordially get out of your way on a mulit-lane road, especially on a freeway. Heavier traffic = different story. Put it this way, had he turned on his lights to move you out of the way, then turned 'em back off when the road was clear to sail, someone would bitch about that too. I've already heard it all.

I assure you, I used to think the same way you do until I got inside a police car and drove it around while responding to calls, and we have a freeway running thru the city we patrol. 99% of the time there's perfectly logical or tactical explanation for what cops do that seem unfair or odd to the general public, but there ARE reasons, you're just not aware of them or what's going on at that moment in time requiring a certain type of tactical police response. Police officers respond to different incidents in different ways and not all cops are alike. Ride with one for a few months, you'll get what I'm talking about.

I can't do a ride along in my town anymore. It got too crooked and is now not allowed to anyone not pursuing a law enforcement career. Police were not following proper procedure and also were under fire for wrecking quite a few cars (FOR DRIVING LIKE MANIACS!!).

Put the lights on so we can see you and move over. Don't ride my bumper. My car is faster than your Crown Vic anyway. I'll gladly escort you through triple digits.:)

No flames intended, just a little frustrated with CT officers and the crap that goes on here.

Lets face it, the Police are above the law, and speeding tickets are given 95% of the time for revenue generation ONLY.

I have followed a police car doing 15 over through city streets with no lights or sirens, (40mph limit, stoplights every mile) and he waited for every red light. If it was imperative for him to be somewhere anytime soon, he would have turned on his lights to go through the intersection (it was at night, almost no traffic) and not just waited, but he didn't. Then he would speed once again to the next red light.

Tell me I am wrong, go ahead and try. When was the last time an officer was given a ticket that stuck and he wasn't involved in an accident. It's BS all the way. And you wonder why the police get no respect from so many citizens.

Why don't the courts admit that speeding tickets are only for money, and issue them without points involved?