spark plugs

one time at the track runs great. then drive it and idle the car around. the next time at the track it has a bad miss. they are wet but i don't think they are oil soaked. acts more like they are dead

I had/have the same problem. Lead coats the plugs and they short out. I found with the stock ignition that it gets harder to throw a spark through the gap and easier to travel through the lead coating.
I made 6 license passes in April and took the car home. Drained the 116 and drove it around a little with regular pump gas. A month and half later (Just a few weeks ago) tried making the a pass with 116 and misfired all the way down the track. Changed the plugs and problem went away.
AG.

I buy 24 plugs at a time.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i get over 50 passes on a set running 110/130 avgas with a power load of lead content no worries
IMGP4839.jpg

l.php

I had/have the same problem. Lead coats the plugs and they short out. I found with the stock ignition that it gets harder to throw a spark through the gap and easier to travel through the lead coating.
I made 6 license passes in April and took the car home. Drained the 116 and drove it around a little with regular pump gas. A month and half later (Just a few weeks ago) tried making the a pass with 116 and misfired all the way down the track. Changed the plugs and problem went away.
AG.

Time to upgrade that ignition system. I only use resistor plugs and they are NGK BCR8ES OR #5430. This is a non v groove #8 heat range resistor plug great for a blend of street and track use..It will work on newer Gn1s, TA heads and Iron stage II heads.. Alum stage II will need a tapered seat.

bcr8es.jpg

Last edited:
Is it normal to change spark plugs after six or seven passes? ngk 5820
That is a -10 heat range plug. Do you really need a plug that cold? Next time you pull one, look at the cad plating on the ground strap. It should change colors back to the bend. If it's not to the bend, it's too cold. If it's past the bend it's too hot. I'm running -8's.

I have the msd dis 4 with the plate between the coil and ignition mod. ran ngk4554(#8 heat) with this. I had a miss that I couldn't find. changed the ignition mod,plate,coil pack and the car made a good run. the car sit through the winter and first time at the track it wouldn't run. changed the plugs and ran fine. I think one the plugs was the problem. never had to change the plugs this often before. going to check the plugs. change them and put the msd back on. then make a few runs. then check the plugs. maybe this will help