spark plugs wet??

kwcook

car was starting and running fine and now it wont start. I unhooked the ecm to acharge the battery then put in my new TurboTweak chip and can't get the car to start. The last time I drove it, it was running rough and I just assumend it needed to be tuned in. I was reading past posts and my injectors hold pressure after the car is off and the plugs are wet and black. I cleaned and replaced three of the plugs and no change.

I had the same probem last year with the plugs fouling out and the car wouldnt start so I took them out and cleaned them and the car started right up, but the car would not run strong like it wasnt hitting on all cylinders. No such luck this time though

Possibly the injector harness is shorting out or being pinched and grounding out?

Cam Sensor?

Need new coils in my Type II?

Any help is appreciated

Found some replacement coils for the Type II ignition for a really good price so I picked them up. I will install the new ones later this week and see if there is any difference. I am really leaning towards the fuel injector harness.

Let's start with the basics.

Are all the plugs wet?
Are you 100% sure that injector and chip are matched?

30 lb injectors with a new chip from turbo tweak for my car.

I looked at the driverside plugs and all three were wet and black, I then replaced the three and tried to start again and the plugs were wet. I have not checked the plugs on the passenger side since I have to take off my 3" downpipe and up-pipe.

Well I have yet to get the car started with the new chip(also put the old chip back in and still no luck). Is it possible that the new chip has not learned the car yet and the plugs are getting wet because of the previously installed chip? The previous chip was not made for my car, I think it was for 30lb injectors though.

30 lb injectors with a new chip from turbo tweak for my car.

I looked at the driverside plugs and all three were wet and black, I then replaced the three and tried to start again and the plugs were wet. I have not checked the plugs on the passenger side since I have to take off my 3" downpipe and up-pipe.

Excuse the dumb queston. Your sig says:
1985 T-type - Ken Duttweiler exhaust W/ 3 Dp & headers-Hooker 2.5" CAT Back4 inch cold air intake W/9" K&N -Turbo Tweak Chip(Not Installed)-Adj. fuel reg. and wastegate-lt1 maf-87 ecm & Coil-Transgo (not installed)

You got the right TT chip, but, not yet installed?
ECM not installed either?
What chip and ECm are in there now and which injectors?

Re: PS plugs
I understand!

The turbo tweak chip is currently in the car and the ecm is also. Since I started the car recently I assumed it would start up. I put the Turbo Tweak chip in and the car would just crank. Just figured the battery was dead so I unplugged the ecm (just precationary) and re-charged it. The car would still not turn over with either chip installed.

Thanks
Kyle Cook

The turbo tweak chip is currently in the car and the ecm is also. Since I started the car recently I assumed it would start up. I put the Turbo Tweak chip in and the car would just crank. Just figured the battery was dead so I unplugged the ecm (just precationary) and re-charged it. The car would still not turn over with either chip installed.

Kyle,
Sounds like you are not getting spark (??) :confused:

I have new replacement coils coming soon for my Type II ignition, hope this helps

Thanks

I have new replacement coils coming soon for my Type II ignition, hope this helps

Thanks
Highly unlikely that all 3 coils go bad at one time.
Are you gettig power to the coils?
Check your grounds.

I havent checked them yet, I found a really good price for 3 brand new so I went ahead and got them. I have the info on how to check the voltage and I will probably get to that this week sometime if we dont get the 16" of snow in 2 days that we are supposed to get.

A bad MAF can cause an excessively rich condition, meaning dumping the fuel. If you don't have a scanner you might want to try pulling your plugs, let your cylinders dry out for a while, and get the car started again. Force the ECM into backup mode by pulling the connector off your MAF and see if it runs any better.

Will give that a try I do have a scanner, but can I use it with a new chip that has yet to be learned by the ECM? When I tuned it last year I was reading no codes the only code that ever came up was the 02 code and I replaced it. My maf should be ok it is a rebuilt LT1 MAF.

Kyle- Any MAF which has been rebuilt in my experience is a POS. I assume you have the LT1 translator installed. One option would be to install an 87 known working MAF and disconnect the LT1 and translator and retest. I have one you can borrow as I have 2 spare 87 MAF's. Let me know. Brad.

Kyle- Be aware that the ECM relearns you car alot quicker than you think. I disconnect my battery ground all the time and upon restart the car goes. The only issue upon rebooting the ECM is letting it learn WOT. Learning WOT takes very little time. Brad

I do have the translator also. I will check my last scan readings to see what the MAF was reading. I think it was 8 or 9

If you would like let me borrow one I would appreciate it. We just got 16 inches of snow, but it is supposed to be 40 degrees next week. Let me know thanks.

Kyle Cook
618 N Ship St
Portland, IN 47371

Kyle- I will let you borrow it. It is an original 87 MAF with one screen(TT chips are programmed for this)and it will go out UPS ground today. Brad