Spark Control Module?

Bowtie Mafia

I am having problems with my '87 GN, it started to stumble under initial acceleration and 2 minutes later it died on me and hasn't started since. During cranking the motor backfires. I have recently replaced my cam position sensor and since this problem my crank position sensor. I have tested the spark control module and the values it gives are way off what is specified in Kirban's book. (I can give the values I measured if it helps). Would that spark control module be the cause of all my problems? Or is it something completely different? Thanks.

Sounds a lot like the problem my Son-In-Law suffered a couple weeks ago. We were out doing some tuning on his new Megasquirt system. All was going well, then without warning the car would stumble badly when jabbing the accelerator. Kept getting worse, and finally died and refused to start. The rare time it did restart it sounded like it was running on two cylinders. We thought of everything BUT the ignition module. He finally tried a new module and coil pack and found a good one that cured the problem. He thinks, and I agree that one or more of the coils shorted out, and took the module with it.

This might be a dumb question but are you sure you have fuel pressure?

If yes.... then I would consider the ignition module.....

Sounds like the cam sensor moved or the tab broke.

Check the tab and readjust.

RL

That's the first thing John checked when we had the problems mentioned in my post above, that and fuel pressure. Made perfect sense, but that wasn't it. :oops:

I have had my Ignition Module and coil packs tested twice already and both times they tested good. That's not to say they are good. Yes, there is fuel pressure, at least in the rail. I am going to test the Ignition Module and coil pack again tomorrow. Would a bad Spark Control Module cause these types of problems?