Someone tell me this isn't true!!!!

I love a stock GNX...but this just looks like a car that is a BLAST to drive. I like the rims too!

If I remember correct this car is GNX #020 it belongs to a board member by the name of 'Smoke20' If that is case here is a link to more pictures of the car:
Custom Fuel Systems & Components, Turbo Installations, Race Car Chassis & Suspension - BBRC

Also there is a thread that discussed the car when it was on the forum:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gnx-fortunate-547/238494-thanks-i-just-bought-020-a.html

Re: Sad but True

Unfortunately this is true!!!. This car is GNX 020. I believe this car sold earlier this year. I think someone in this forum claims that they purchased this car very reasonably. I have spoken to the original owner on several occasions.

I will say that is a badass setup the car has. That would be one fast SOB. But, IMO (for what that matters) whoever built that car should have done that to a regular GN. I didn't mean to sound like a ass when I said "Either someone is incredibly stupid, or trying to rip someone off and pass it as a real GNX", but I really couldn't believe someone would do that to such a rare car. Kind of takes away what the car was supposed to be all about, a V6 going fast and taking names. Diddo to boostedturbotom, that seat sucks. Congrats to the new owner, sounds like he got a good deal.

Badass car, but by replacing the GNX drivetrain he lowered the value of the car by a LOT.

I'd say he needs to remove a 0 from the price, but that's too harsh, but I can't see that car being worth anywhere near $20K due to the fact it's no longer a GNX in any way.

Just my opinion on it. I'd drive the crap out of it, but it's no longer a high dollar car like a REAL GNX.

Badass car, but by replacing the GNX drivetrain he lowered the value of the car by a LOT.

I'd say he needs to remove a 0 from the price, but that's too harsh, but I can't see that car being worth anywhere near $20K due to the fact it's no longer a GNX in any way.

Just my opinion on it. I'd drive the crap out of it, but it's no longer a high dollar car like a REAL GNX.

I agree. I think the fact that keeps getting lost with these cars is that there value stems from their rarity. 547 no more, no less. If something is done to them to take away from their originality, then it immediately devalues them. Even if the parts are all there in crates to return it to original, it still is worth nowhere near what an untouched one would.

This is the equasion that should be used to determine this cars worth.

Take the costof a hardtop roller GN with similar mileage on chassis. Take the cost of that drivetrain. Add them together. Now take off 10-15% for depreciation. Now you have average cost of the car. Add in what the original parts will sell for, and you have the value of the package. It should not be considered comporable to a GNX that has been sitting in CC garage's for the past 2 decades.

Also keep in mind that this car was not built to pass people on the highway. I am sure it has taken quite a beating. I would challenge anyone to put that car back to stock and have it pass the inspection of a few of the guys on this board.

That being said. That car is kick-*ss!!!

I agree. I think the fact that keeps getting lost with these cars is that there value stems from their rarity. 547 no more, no less. If something is done to them to take away from their originality, then it immediately devalues them. Even if the parts are all there in crates to return it to original, it still is worth nowhere near what an untouched one would.
That being said. That car is kick-*ss!!!
I disagree. no matter how rare the car is, it is the owner's choice to do whatever he wants with it, no matter what some "purists" guys will think! It's NOT of their business, period! As for the car's value, I always said that cars are not meant to be in museums, but to be enjoyed...and if this is what the car's owner likes, then, be it!

Claude. :)

I disagree. no matter how rare the car is, it is the owner's choice to do whatever he wants with it, no matter what some "purists" guys will think! It's NOT of their business, period! As for the car's value, I always said that cars are not meant to be in museums, but to be enjoyed...and if this is what the car's owner likes, then, be it!

Claude. :)

I never said it that the owner can't do with as he/she pleases. Just that the car sells for close to 6 figures for a reason. What has been done here destroys that value, plain and simple. Do not expect to get the value back, it will never be there.

No car was developed exclusively to sit in a garage all it's life, coming up for air once in a while to sit at a car show. This is the sacrifice that has made by so many GNX owners over the years to retain their value. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either drive it, enjoy it, and don't expect for the car to appreciate tremendously in value, or make the sacrifice for investments sake and let it sit.

Didn't someone else also spot GNX #020's drivetrain on E-bay yesterday? If so, I'd think the seller would have a better shot of selling it together with the car.

As I understand it, the current owner is not the one who put the V8 in it. I'm sure the guy that made the swap realized what he did to the resale value of the car when he sold it to the present owner. Thus, in essence, he's already paid for his sins.

Personally I'd not have done that to a GNX, but it would be a purely financial decision. It's just metal, plastic and glass.

Jim

Either drive it, enjoy it, and don't expect for the car to appreciate tremendously in value, or make the sacrifice for investments sake and let it sit.

Well, I agree with you this time!..but still, if it was MY car, I'd choose to enjoy it...life's too short!...:) As for the 6 figures selling prices, I know it's a fact that some are crazy enough to pay that much, but not me, even if I could afford it . The explanation I have for this is that some are so wealthy, that it doesn't matter to them if they spend 100 or 200 grand or even more...It's their money, their car and that's ok, but I don't live on the same planet as them...:rolleyes: Another thing which drives the prices through the roof are those Barrett-Jackson style auctions where only very rich people can buy something because these guys are often playing games as to see who's going to win a bidding war and the amount of the sale itself becomes the least important thing to them...This in turn, has some folks back home who are watching the show, think that because they have a similar car in their garage that theirs is worth as much as the one seen on the show! :frown: I feel that all this takes away some of the fun of owning a special car.

Claude :wink:
See 'ya...

Claude :)

gnx

You can't take it with you. If your not in it for the $ then start building your dream car with whatever you can easily afford no matter if it is a gnx, tta, whatever. Rob Crissafulli did that with a low mile TTA instead of starting with an old beat up gta. The less gnx's there are in 20 years just means less fortunate people and the few that have them will have more valuable cars. That is really the way gm should have built the gnx was with a very strong twin turbo v8 instead of the buzzin v6. Nothing sounds like a v8 and with the same technology is much faster. The whole idea about a v6 being so great is for the people in denial. It is a nice novelty idea but in the realm of racing it makes no since. If your happy with an 11 or even a 10 second stout v6 and getting decent gas mileage then so be it but anything more takes tons of $ and time to constantly pull the motor and repair or replace it when the RES light comes on :p There is someone out there that will see it for what it is and pay top dollar for it imo. Atleast it is not some pos regal lowrider with 26's and a carnival paint job.

Modified GNX

Looks like one heck of a ride...most likely the mods will hurt the potential sale to most (like myself) but someone with lots of cash...this might be the ride for them.

Although...it still would be the coolest thing to show up at the local A & W on Friday night with this beast....a true GNX with tire shreading twin turbo V8.

Not all cars stay stock...but the pure stock sure demand the higgest bucks...and then there are those that are modified by their owners are for the pure fun factor ( I call it the need for speed)

That's just wrong!! Say what you will about owners choice etc. but imagine if every GNX owner decided to make this poor choice. It's a piece of american history destroyed and once those parts on evil bay sell and get seperated from the car it can't be restored.... That's just a shame!!!

its stupid buy a non turbo car to do this 2 people.it doesnt use any of the turbo cars stuff so why tear up a great car.factory v8 car paint it black and throw some gn emblems on it.that kind of car is worth as much as the gnx hacked up because its the same freakin car now lol

its stupid buy a non turbo car to do this 2 people.it doesnt use any of the turbo cars stuff so why tear up a great car.factory v8 car paint it black and throw some gn emblems on it.that kind of car is worth as much as the gnx hacked up because its the same freakin car now lol

I agree, take a normal Regal, do this to it, and you end up with a car just as valuable as this hacked up GNX (and that value isn't near the 78K price).

If the original parts really are showing up on ebay, then he's got it overpriced by about 60 grand since that makes the GNX no longer able to go back to true stock, making it worth about the same as any Regal with a TT V8 and other goodies. Honestly the motor looks pretty nice so it could be a 25K car to the right buyer, can't imagine it being a 78K car to anyone. But maybe I'm a doofus, dunno.