Some questions on cam/springs and other stuff

V

VIPRETR

My cooling system is being pressurized so I'm popping the heads off to check them out. While they are off I figured this would be a good time to freshen up a few things. Here are the current mods....Kirban upgraded fuel pump, adjustable FPR, 30lb. injectors, TA 34 from PTE, 87 coil, elec. fan, 4 core rad, new water pump, cold air kit, 160 thermo, ATR dp, and 3"cutout/test pipe, boost and knock gauges. Mods in the near future will include an 87 ECM setup, turbomotion IC kit, full ATR header set, and ported heads in that order.
Here are my questions...
1) What cam would be suitable for the current mods?
2) What valvesprings should I use?
3) Should I use a double roller timing chain or just a stock replacement?
4) I am replacing the lifters, should I get new pushrods as well?
5) Any pointers on porting the stock intake manifold? It would be pointless to buy a ported one now before I step up to the IC intake, so any pointers or trouble spots from personal experience?
6) What about porting the stock headers? And where should I look for cracks/leaks? Any welding tips?
7) How the heck do you get the turbo to intake bell off? I need to switch it over from the stock turbo and the thing won't budge.

If you feel I've overlooked anything, please bring it to my attention. Thanks for your input gentlemen, it's greatly appreciated.

Looks like you have a good bit of mods done i just got my car running but it does not like to run long. Try to write Reds hot air he did some porting on his motor ,he must be doing something right to be running very low 13s with a lot of stock parts i saw it with my own eyes its a fast car you might want to port some things.good luck

cone filter
307 pump hot wired
[adj reg
160 stat
40lb red strips
JOE L 93 and 110 chips
87 ecm
sperco intercooler kit
TA-33 [ ported elbow]
LT1 valve springs
posi rear
On the way this week
ported headers
atr s.s 2.5 down pipe
atr s.s up pipe
2.5 test pipe
flow master ex

You can't go wrong with a Comp 206-206 or Reed 210-205 cam. No loss in bottom end torque at all and a decent increase in mid- high end. I've used both cams with ported and unported heads.

No need to replace the pushrods but if you do, the chromemoly ones are pretty cheap.

Roller timing chain would probably give more durability especially if you go with the 100lb valve springs.

New stock springs or up to 100lb springs will work.

You can just port the runners in the intake. I think that's the major restriction. If you really want to get them straight you will have to do some welding because you will break through before you know it. There's a lot of room for improvement in that intake with a dremel or die grinder.

if your looking at porting your own heads i did a lil run down of my knowledge on the subject in this thread..it may not be a full race port job but it will make a big difference..

its in here

Not looking to port the heads myself, just clean up the intake a little while it's off. Thanks for the help guys.