Soaking frictions in trans fluid

MSDGN

I know you are supposed to soak frictions in trans fluid overnight but does it hurt anything if you soak them longer. Let's say I plan on putting the trans together, soak the frictions but can't work on it for an other week or two so leave them soaking. I would think it wouldn't matter since they sit in trans fluid all the time inside the trans.

I know you are supposed to soak frictions in trans fluid overnight but does it hurt anything if you soak them longer. Let's say I plan on putting the trans together, soak the frictions but can't work on it for an other week or two so leave them soaking. I would think it wouldn't matter since they sit in trans fluid all the time inside the trans.
It wont matter one bit as they spend their whole life in it, but it will sure hurt them if you don't soak them at all. Every build I do I soak them for at least 15 min.

Don't forget to soak the band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will not make a difference. Soaking them overnight is overkill. They need to stop breathing which takes a few dips in trans fluid. They do not sit in fluid in the trans. If they did the clutch pack would never apply.

I agree, you don't need to soak them overnight as this is not an advantage,it wont hurt but it isn't going to help any. How I do it is I have a trans pan sitting at the end of my bench filled with trans fluid and as I build the unit I have the clutches sitting In the pan and pull them as I need them. I will say this, ATSG who does all the manuals for all of the transmissions recommend at least 15 mins. so cant go wrong with this.Like bison said don't forget the band.

Lol yeah I agree with Dave a overkill. I've built 100's of tranny's and never soaked a clutch. No issues.

Last edited: