So I got my engine installed..........

Rustyregal

I posted up a while back about having to get a new engine due to some rod knock. After I got it pulled apart I found some damage to the rod bearings. After checking in with a few engine builders and finding out it would be quite a while getting one built I called up O'Reilly's. Go ahead with the bashing but I know 3 guys running them with no issues. Well,to the meat and potatoes. Installed the engine without a hitch. Fired it up and it was running great. Then it happened. This wonderful rubbing/grinding noise began radiating from the torque converter area. I got it shut down quickly and only fired it up a few times for maybe 3-5 seconds to try and diagnose it and ended up pulling the transmission. Pulled the pump and found my stator/vane rotor sheared in HALF! Yep I broke it,didn't check the spacing on the converter. Called Jegs and got a TCI replacement and moved on. Now that it was good to go I was excited to see how it would run,it didn't for long. BLM's would climb sky high and it would lean out and die. Yes the ever so wonderful vacuum leak. I changed the intake gasket worrying about the new heads and how they were surfaced,nope. I capped off the vacuum block to isolate the accessories,nope. Replaced the doghouse gasket,nope. Then I made this;

20131210_174819.jpg

That's right I made me a smoke machine and its aweeeeessooomme! It immediately lead me to a leak at the egr block off plate. That dude was sucking the oxygen from my shop. I made a gasket and i didn't help. So I figured just lathering that sucker down with 1 minute rtv would fix it,not in my world. So this is what I did to it;
20131210_170321.jpg

20131210_175136.jpg

I then reverted back to step #2 and lathered it down and reinstalled. NO more leak there. My BLM's fell back off to around 130-132 so I'm happy for now. Though that's not a perfect reading it will do until I finalize my install. So I'm sure some more good stuff will come up and I'll post up if it seems prudent.

That's right, Power Torque. You are correct Earl in the possibility of getting some miss matched parts. My heads and block were 25518445 & 255261098. I'm lucky enough to have some good employees and a great manager at my local parts house. I got a good one right off but he was ready to suit up if it wasn't up to par. You can request more info from them about your engine if you like. 20 psi will tell us in the end!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

GaryK1970 has a Oreillys motor in his 87 Buick T Government Test Car and it will haul ass , ask me how I know because I road in it while we was at Bowling Green this year . He is real pleased with his .

Wow...that's 2/2 on the plus for that engine. Sucker is a killer price too! Anyone have a bad experience with them?

That's some welcome news on your buddies motor. I done some searching and didn't come up with much. Figured I would take a chance and find out for myself. I'll have to give him a shout and see what he thinks about it.

As for the smoke bucket it was super easy to build. The white dial is from a old stove top I found at a friends. Mounted the heat control to the top and then wrapped the eye in a piece of heat blanket. Dropped said eye in the bottom of the bucket and soaked it with baby oil(Just because it smells good!). Put two bulkhead fittings in the top. One for the air regulator/gauge combo and the other just has a JIC/flare end on it. Cut the cord off of an old Direct TV box and wired it up through a grommet. Sealed the top with some RTV and poked a shop vac hose in the nozzle. Voilà,put that dude on high and about 3psi and you have the magic smoke.