SMC Kit Problems

bishir

Serenity Now
Today I was going up the onramp and noticed 8 degrees of knock and no ALKY ON LIGHT! WHOA!!! I quickly let off, and nothing bad happened to the motor, but it seems my kit isn't working correctly. The spray on light won't come on, the pressure gauge sits at zero when I hit the test button, but the car does sputter when I hit the test button at idle. Hmm, it seems the alky isn't spraying, but it's spraying enough to cause the motor to stumble at idle. This was our first cold day ~30 this morning so maybe that had something to do with it?

Any ideas? Steve, you out there?

Thanks,

James

James,
I'll see if I can help you. Verify your getting 12 v to the pump when you hit the test button. Measure across the pump terminals. If you get power to the pump.. it should spray and the pressure guage should move.

If you get power to the pump, and no pressure output..then your pump has gone south. Sometimes the pumps spin without pressure. In other words it may put out 10 PSI but not 75 PSI.

You can also listen to it while putting your ear over the bottle fill area. When you hit the test button, it will make a whirring sound.

You may want to check power directly on the terminal connections inside the bottle. Again..if the pump has power and ground on its terminals and you dont get pressure..pump has gone south.

Not much else really.

Hope this helps,

Julio

Thanks Julio, I will check that. The guage shows 0lbs when the button is pushed I do know that right now. The kit is less than 10 months old :(

Well, I emailed Steve the other day and I'm still waiting on a response. However, once I got back from thanksgiving break and the temp was a bit higher the kit works fine now. What gives? :confused: There are NO loose connections that I can find, but maybe there is a switch of some kind sticking?

James

Maybe the pump froze?.. scary.. :eek:

Hope it doesnt play havoc when you need it.

SMC Repair

Anything under 1 year old is covered under warranty. Please call SMC FIRST to diagnose any problem. I responded to the email the very next day after it was sent! The system has many features and is not easily diagnosed by 3rd parties. We have over 1,000 TR injection systems in use......there is bound to be a repair issue now and then.

Thanks!

Steve could you respond again, because I didn't get it. I didn't mean to sound as if you're not providing service because that is very far from the truth. In fact, you've been more than helpful in the past. I'm also planning on buying your kit for the Harley truck sometime in the future so don't take anything the wrong way. Though from some of the things that have been said in the past, I can understand the hostility.

I'd appreciate it though if you could email me again. Since my GN is a daily driver and 20lbs is the minimum boost I can run I tried here too. In fact, I thought you'd see this post before you even checked your email.

Thanks!

James

I had this problem a couple of years ago with mine. It would stumble at idle but nothing coming out of the pump. It was the draw of the pump causing the stumble! Talked to Steve and sent the pump back. He sent the pump back the next day and its been fine eversince. I think it was 3 days total the pump was out of the car. I'm sure he'll fix you right up :)

SMC makes an excellent kit

Steve has awesome customer service, and builds an excellent kit. I get tired of reading some of the $hit that's been spewed out over the last while. I used to post fairly often in this forum, but now I hardly ever even look here because of the garbage that I see and read. If you did a DIY kit, good for freakin' you. If you bought a pre-made kit that cost more, there's nothing wrong with that but let's shut it up about it already, geesh:rolleyes:

had this problem a couple of years ago with mine. It would stumble at idle but nothing coming out of the pump. It was the draw of the pump causing the stumble! Talked to Steve and sent the pump back. He sent the pump back the next day and its been fine eversince. I think it was 3 days total the pump was out of the car. I'm sure he'll fix you right up

Hmm, maybe that's the problem. I'll send it to him and have him check it out. I'm not in much a hurry now since the car is off the road.

Thanks,

James

Does anyone know of a way to contact Steve from SMC through email? I have sent 2 emails to him within the last 2 weeks without any replies. Is this the correct email addess, schlupsa31@mchsi.com ?

SMC reply

Adler:
I responded to both of your emails withinn 24 hours.....are you checking the correct account??? I sent them to the adesire@gte.net address. They appear to have went through. If you need to reach me via phone the # is 270-522-9376.

hum....What was the subject of the email that you sent me? If I dont recognize the email address or the subject, I usually delete the email because I always receive alot of junk mail.
Did the topic say "SMC" anywhere in it?
Thanks for responding

Adler email

Adler:
Subject was the same as you sent:
"How to improve older SMC Kit"

SMC

I have the SMC kit for about 3 or 4 years now. It works flawlessly and Steve has been prompt and helpful with all questions.

Ravi
TRFanatic