slipping from converter or trans?

85mcss

Hi, I have got an 85 Monte carlo ss with the original 200r4 (with approx 70,000 since rebuild) that slips on the 2-3 shift when there is a mild to heavy acceleration but it acts like a 4500 stall converter and kicks in at about that rpm. I have been told that if it stays out of gear and you have to let your foot out to get it to go back into gear, then it is the trans, and if it comes back into gear at a high rpm, then it is your converter. is this true? it has been getting worse, so i am going to try to put a converter in it to see what happens. i know i need to have this one rebuilt or get another trans, but i am just wanting to make it last this winter. any suggestions or comments will be appreciated!
TIA!
-Brandon

If you want the trans to last the winter, keep your foot out of the gas. The 2-3 flair may be due to cavitation which is common on medium to hard acceleration. The way the 200 4R is, the fluid will uncover the pick up on the filter and cause the trans to suck air resulting in line pressure lose. When this happens you loose apply pressure and it "slips" into 3rd. The drop in pressure may well be the cause of it not seeming to engage again until you rev it up and recover some line pressure. Seems like you may well be looking at needing to rebuild it in the near future. Just drive it easy until you can afford to get it built right. As a test, try adding an extra quart of fluid to see if it helps any at all. That may keep the filter covered and help out for the time being. Sounds like with the problems you are having though, you have past the point of a minor repair.

Mark

thanks for the info, mark. why has it not done this in the last 70,000 miles? i have only noticed this problem in the last 1,000 miles. :confused:

Maybe it's had more hard service lately? More than likely it is due to wear and tear and has gotten to the point that it can't handle the stress any longer.