Skips 3rd with shifter in OD

ijames

A friend has one of those ebay 200's (yeah, I warned him and no, it's not a brf) and when the shifter is in OD it will shift 1-2-4, skipping 3rd. With the shifter in 3rd it goes 1-2-3 like you'd expect. Is there anything easy to fix that would explain this that we could check by dropping the pan? Thanks for any advice.

Order the correct valve body and govenor for it.
THere must be a problem in the calibration.
If it goes into 3rd in D,THe direct clutches must be good/

Grilled him more and now the story is a little different - I probably didn't hear him right, sigh, so sorry about the miscue on the thread title. With shifter in 3rd he thinks it shifts 1-2-3-4 and doesn't lock up, and with shifter in D he thinks it shifts 1-2-3-4 and then locks up. Since there is only a 4th gear switch in this valve body we tied both 3rd and 4th inputs to the ecm to the one switch so the ecm should never think the car is in 3rd (it thinks either 1/2, or 4th), and the speedo gear is way off so it locks very early. I think when the shifter is in 3rd it is going 1-2-3-lockup and the lockup is harsh enough that it is fooling him into thinking it is a shift, and then in D it is going 1-2-3-lockup-4(and staying locked). We went round and round about how a harsh lockup (3000 stall 10" pats converter and it's locking at the very bottom of 4th so the rpms can't be much over 2000 after lockup so big rpm drop on the lockup) could feel like a shift, and I told him this enough times that finally he is going to do the tap the brake pedal test to unlock it when he gets a chance to take it out for a test drive. Rather than fix this one, Otto, his plan is to limp around on this one and get his original BRF built right.

If you temporarily disconnect the TCC cable connector altogether you could see if your questionable 4th shift in D3 range is lockup since it should disappear with no power to the solenoid.