Shift Question

edfiero1

I put a rebuilt tranny in my 84 hot air car and it doesn't shift as expected.

The 1-2 shift is perfect. Right feel, right rpm shift point, but the 2-3 and 3-4 shift are very soft and happen almost immediately. So in a typical slow acceleration (with wife in the car), it might be in first gear for say 4 to 5 seconds, but its only in second for 2 seconds before it upshifts to 3rd, then another 1 or 2 seconds later its in 4th. These shifts are much sooner than I would expect. It goes into OD lockup as expected around 45mph.

If I manually upshift it, it will hold the gear as expected until I upshift to the next one.

Is this a problem with the governor, or is it TV adjustment, or maybe something else entirely? I've followed the procedure and believe I have the TV adjusted properly and the trans rebuilder provided a new governor, but it really didn't change anything.

Sounds like the transmission has the wrong valvebody in it. Is this the original transmission from the car that was rebuilt or is this a different transmission?

Sounds like the transmission has the wrong valvebody in it. Is this the original transmission from the car that was rebuilt or is this a different transmission?
It is an entirely different transmission. The trans builder knew it was going in a Turbo Regal and supposedly modified the VB and the governor to simulate that of a factory GN. I'm not looking to bad mouth the builder, just trying to understand the problem and determine if its something that can be adjusted, repaired or replaced with the trans still in the car.

It is an entirely different transmission. The trans builder knew it was going in a Turbo Regal and supposedly modified the VB and the governor to simulate that of a factory GN. I'm not looking to bad mouth the builder, just trying to understand the problem and determine if its something that can be adjusted, repaired or replaced with the trans still in the car.
It's very difficult to get a non code BQ or BRF valve body to perform like a BQ or BRF. It's dependent on what valve body the builder started with. Do you know what code valve body is in the transmission? There are code letters on the tag on the back of the transmission but that doesn't mean that is the code of the valve body the builder put in the transmission. There should be letters stenciled on the side of the valve body to indicate what it is or was. Unfortunately a lot of times those letters get removed when the valve body is cleaned. I would take the trans back to the builder and see if he can make adjustments to it to your satisfaction.