Should ported irons be my next mod?

NVRL8

Huge Member
Been doing a lot of research and I feel that a set of ported irons would be my next logical mod. I want to bounce this thought off the board cuz if I'm off you guys will set me straight and save me $.

If heads are in my near future I will have a lot of follow up questions, so bear with me.

Thanks

Assuming a normal weight car, and everything working decently, I'd tune for about 4-8 more MPH in the quarter assuming a stock motor Buick built. :cool:

Why rush heads when you can mph higher on the stock stuff as many have done in the past.

Then I'd consider popping that magic seal for heads. :eek: ;)

Maybe some data logging tool first if you don't have one.

Just my .02 from a stock headgasket/motor kind of guy. :p

Been doing a lot of research and I feel that a set of ported irons would be my next logical mod. I want to bounce this thought off the board cuz if I'm off you guys will set me straight and save me $.

If heads are in my near future I will have a lot of follow up questions, so bear with me.

Thanks
without a doubt they are!!!! i would check out kai at KN PERFORMANCE 704-534-0764. he out flows champion
Flickr: KN Performance's Photostream i would max out your setup first. 11.98 at 110 is pretty much a ta49 to a stock max safe tune

Assuming a normal weight car, and everything working decently, I'd tune for about 4-8 more MPH in the quarter assuming a stock motor Buick built. :cool:

Why rush heads when you can mph higher on the stock stuff as many have done in the past.

Then I'd consider popping that magic seal for heads. :eek: ;)

Maybe some data logging tool first if you don't have one.

Just my .02 from a stock headgasket/motor kind of guy. :p

Car is 3810 lbs. w/me in it. Motor is unopened Buick. I could probably get more out of the car as is, but that would be running it on a tune riskier than I'd like. Using Powerlogger. Appreciate the feedback :cool:

without a doubt they are!!!! i would check out kai at KN PERFORMANCE 704-534-0764. he out flows champion
Flickr: KN Performance's Photostream i would max out your setup first. 11.98 at 110 is pretty much a ta49 to a stock max safe tune

Thanks, I'll check it out :biggrin: Also, the 11.98@110 was on 93 and Alky if it matters.

Keep the opinions/recommendations coming!

What are your goals? As salvagev6 said you have a lot left on the table with your current combo.

What are your goals? As salvagev6 said you have a lot left on the table with your current combo.

11.50's would be nice. The highest mph I have on the car is 111. That was with an AFR of 11.0 and timing was about 26/24 (that was not the 11.98 run). I'm getting consistant 1.6x 60' times, launching at 10#'s and running at 24#'s. No knock.

You guys clearly know your stuff, and what I can get out my current combo. I'm just nervous to go leaner, higher timing, or higher boost on the stock stuff. Does this make sense or am I being a pu$$y?

The TA49 has been 10.80's on an unopened engine with similar other bolt ons. He's not even close to a max stock short block safe tune. Once he hits 117-118mph id say he's taken the current combo far enough to warrant heads as a good $ spent to performance gain option.

11.50's would be nice. The highest mph I have on the car is 111. That was with an AFR of 11.0 and timing was about 26/24 (that was not the 11.98 run). I'm getting consistant 1.6x 60' times, launching at 10#'s and running at 24#'s. No knock.

You guys clearly know your stuff, and what I can get out my current combo. I'm just nervous to go leaner, higher timing, or higher boost on the stock stuff. Does this make sense or am I being a pu$$y?

Mph is a little low for those tuning parameters. Maybe the converter is eating up some mph? Post your entire timeslip.

I just bought a set of Champion P&P heads from Cottons. They look pretty nice and have bigger stainless steel valves. Jack is a nice guy and very helpful. I also got a Comp roller 206/206 cam set from them.

My stock heads were warped so I used it as an excuse to go the 9 yards. I don't have the car back together yet so I can't tell you what good they will do. I'm just hoping the car will run better. However, like other people said, I think you can probably go faster with what you have but if you have the $$ go for it.

Your combo is very similar to mine, and it looks like you're going the same direction. I'd be very interested in your times when you get the goodies installed, even if it's a simple PM.

I have almost the same combo. in the GN, weighs about 3850 with me in it, and has a PTE51, vig. 0 pump 9.5", 24lbs. boost, 23/21 timing turbo tweak chip and a mease stretch stock intercooler and downpipe, crossflow 3" exh.

130K miles on it.

Runs 114mph in the quarter with it locked up around 90mph point.

Runs 111 or so unlocked, when I forget to throw the switch. :eek:

Pump gas and alky. non-progressive, but with a second staged nozzle off the simple EFI pump in bottle setup. Turn on at 9psi. and second nozzle at 18psi.

I'd figure around 10% slippage unlocked.

Lock it up at the mph that's around 5K rpm on your logger.

See what you get for mph then.

I guess once you hit 115-118 it's time for heads.

I'd verify the boost gauge as well, you could be a pound or two low on the reading, or else the 11.0 fuel ratio is killing you.

I guess rich is safe but lean is mean. :eek: ;) :p

There should be something left there with your car. :cool:

I added Champion ported irons, matching intake and 206 roller to my stock engine and it really came alive. Made more power than I was expecting. Over 120rwhp from previous combo.

87 GN- TE60, champion irons, champion intake, 206 roller, 60's, TT chip, Razor's alky, Ls1 maf, Mease SLIC, THDP, Janis transmission, Precision 3200 5 disc l/u converter, 516rwhp/555rwt @23psi, 562rwhp/578rwt converter locked, assembled and tuned at KDK Performance Orlando Fl.

I have almost the same combo. in the GN, weighs about 3850 with me in it, and has a PTE51, vig. 0 pump 9.5", 24lbs. boost, 23/21 timing turbo tweak chip and a mease stretch stock intercooler and downpipe, crossflow 3" exh.

130K miles on it.

Runs 114mph in the quarter with it locked up around 90mph point.

Runs 111 or so unlocked, when I forget to throw the switch. :eek:

Pump gas and alky. non-progressive, but with a second staged nozzle off the simple EFI pump in bottle setup. Turn on at 9psi. and second nozzle at 18psi.

I'd figure around 10% slippage unlocked.

Lock it up at the mph that's around 5K rpm on your logger.

See what you get for mph then.

I guess once you hit 115-118 it's time for heads.

I'd verify the boost gauge as well, you could be a pound or two low on the reading, or else the 11.0 fuel ratio is killing you.

I guess rich is safe but lean is mean. :eek: ;) :p

There should be something left there with your car. :cool:

That makes sense. I will apply the above advice. The reason I ask about my next mod is because I like to do my upgrades in the winter and enjoy the car in the summer :cool: Since winter is around the corner, I'm trying to plan my next stage and time it right. The track (around here) is down for the season:( , so I probably won't get any more tuning time. Maybe I'll hold off for another year:frown:

I added Champion ported irons, matching intake and 206 roller to my stock engine and it really came alive. Made more power than I was expecting. Over 120rwhp from previous combo.

That's a serious improvement:biggrin: Must have been a night and day difference. I'm jealous.

Good to hear. I assume you have roller lifters with that set up right? If so do you have adjustable rockers? I have a 206 cam w/roller lifters and shorter push rods and I'm going to try the stock rockers. However, it's been strongly recommended that I use adj. rockers.

Don't want to jack the thread but maybe this will be good info for the OP...

Post the info from your timeslip.

I looked at the PL file and it looked good to me. You didn't have any kr so I would turn up the boost until you begin to see kr and them back the boost off some. IMO you need to max out this combo before buying the heads.

If you put ported heads and matching intake on an otherwise stock GN/T-type it will make the car really come alive. Put them on a modded car and even more power will be seen.

Post the info from your timeslip.

I looked at the PL file and it looked good to me. You didn't have any kr so I would turn up the boost until you begin to see kr and them back the boost off some. IMO you need to max out this combo before buying the heads.

Timeslip from the 11.98 run is:

60'=1.655
330=4.839
1/8=7.584@89.28
1000=9.962
1/4=11.988@110.83

I was at 24#'s, so what do you think about turning up the boost beyond that? My understanding is that there is a serious risk of lifting a stock head at about 25#'s :eek:. Please advise me on this.

Have you upgraded the stock valve springs?

I was actually gonna touch on that. I do have stock valve springs. I have read tons of info regarding valve springs (much of it conflicting and ambiguous). Do you guys think springs could be holding me back as well?