Should I trade for a Viper??

tazgn

Yesterday I had to go back to the local Dodge dealership to sign some papers for the new G. Caravan I got for the family. I knew they were going to try and screw me by getting me to buy some $660 maintenance contract so I can get free oil changes for 3 years (yep, that comes out to about $50 per oil change), so I brought the GN so I can show the car and ask the idiot if he really thought I didn't know how to change the oil in a car. It was almost priceless to see his face when I did that. After about 15 salesmen having to come up and check out the car, I explained the ONLY cars I would even consider trading the GN in for would be the Viper or the SRT-10 they have in the showroom. Sure enough they started asking what I wanted in trade in for the GN. After explaining how they couldn't give me enough and doing a smokey burnout from the parking lot, it got me to thinking... SOME DAY I'll grow weary of the GN and have to sell it to someone. Does it sound strange to want to "interview" potential buyers before even entertaining their offers? It's kind of like an adoption to me. And it would ONLY go to someone who knew the secrets of a GN and all the things I have into it. I would not be able to live with myself trading it in and having some 18 year old kid buy it and have no idea what the car needs/FAST tuning, etc.

Am I dumb for this??? Has anyone else "interviewed" potential buyers. I mean I owuld only sell to real GN/T-Type knowledgeable enthusiasts. I may have made it harder for me to sell the car some year in the future.... Hmmmm..........

Derrick

Ever Driven a Viper?

.....Take a ride in one....The Clutch feels like it is mounted inside the front Fender, because it is spaced so far from the gas and brake Pedal. The car has terrible sight lines, and steering is Tight, but feels heavy.

I took a GTS for a ride, and one of the best things about the car is that EVERYONE on the road looks at you. IMO There are MUCH better cars for Less Money!.....Like a GNX....

My buddy has an '03 SRT-10 and I must admit it is a pretty amazing car. The older versions don't even compete. The braking system is off the race vipers. They are suppose to out brake Ferrari's. Handling is much improved from the older versions. It does feel like you have your feet up against a fire place driving it though.

TAZ....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING :confused: :confused: :)
I realize your GN is close to as serious as you can get for a 109 block but look what you could do for just the viper insurance alone per year.....:eek: I think I'd go Z06 before viper...but I can't say much as I've never driven either but have a friend with a supercharged 383 in a C4 vette and he drove a C5 Z06 and said it was a seriuos machine, had great brakes, great power and really stuck to the road.

First, you really never mentioned what they offered for your GN on the Viper. You'll be lucky to get 1/2 of what you have in your motor out of it above what the car is worth. I would imagine that Hawaii is a seriously smaller market than the continental US to boot. Viper's are not going down in value too bad either. Check eBay, they're hanging on in value. I've watched for awhile, I want one.

Viper insurance may surprise you too. In IL, it was as cheap for an older Viper as it was for my 03 GMC Sierra.

When my car was photographed for the feature in GM High Tech Perf, they had a Viper comparison to the Z06. The vette got stomped pretty bad. I got to ride in a pretty mildly built up Viper and that thing was just plain awesome. You simply can't even begin to compare a Regal to a Viper either.

My guess is they want to give you $10,000 for your GN on a $70,000 Viper.

I owned a RT10 for about 5 years and it was one of the most enjoyable cars I have owned over the years. I was around during the muscle car days and have owned most models over the years including most models of vettes except for the c5 version and have driven the cobras in the 60s. The viper is a young mans car and a fair weather car. The viper will beat you to death and is almost useless in wet weather. But as far as the fun factor goes its at the top. I also had the car for 5 years and sold it for the same amount as I bought it for when it was 1 year old. I sold the dodge and bought a GN to have a fast car thats comfortable.

After driving a Z06, GTS, and ACR... the Vette simply does not compare. Don't get me wrong, the Z06 is one amazing machine, but it doesn't stand up to the Viper. The only advantage I found in the Vette was comfort. However, if I'm buying a Viper, it isn't to drive cross-country so, that doesn't really matter!! :D I'd really like to drive the new SRT, for comparison's sake. They had a anthracite (sp?) silver ACR that I fell in love with. Even the Viper emblem was a crackled gray, instead of the red. They have their quirks, but are amazing machines. I would like to own one, someday. Used Vipers can be found for a good deal, these days. I'd want an '01+ car, since they had ABS. (I think it was '01+, maybe '02+...)

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
TAZ....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING :confused: :confused: :)
I realize your GN is close to as serious as you can get for a 109 block but look what you could do for just the viper insurance alone per year.....:eek: I think I'd go Z06 before viper...but I can't say much as I've never driven either but have a friend with a supercharged 383 in a C4 vette and he drove a C5 Z06 and said it was a seriuos machine, had great brakes, great power and really stuck to the road.

One of my friends has two Vipers (GTS) and a Z06 Vette - among other toys. I've driven both and can tell you the Vipers are alot more fun - period end of story. Much nicer looking, faster, better performance and more prestigious than the Vette.

However, if you want something more for daily commuting - the more sedate Z06 is the ticket, but you'll kick yourself everytime you see a Viper. Few people give the Vette a second look and you'll really want to crawl under a rock if a Viper pulls along side you at a light. His blue and white '96 runs 11's (Chip and cat back).