Should I go E85?

seeya v6

My current build is in my sig....that was at 25psi. Currently running 27.5 psi so I must be close to the 700rwhp mark.My question to you E85 users should I spend the money to switch for my goal of 725-750rwhp? I self tuned this car so I can answer any questions u need to ask...I have converted a few stock motor cars to E85 with great results.Thanks Doug...

Have you seen my dyno results? :)

Mine are small potatoes right now, but E85 is so safe and so powerful....I suggest it!

I've been tuning with E85 for about 6+ years now and i have tuned MANY engines on it from 1000+HP 4 cylinder to V8s to the 3.8 buick engine. Being a tuner for a shop and tuning for almost 2 decades now i have noticed the same to better performance with E85 then C16 which is 15$ a gallon. E85 doesn't kill your o2 sensors either which is a plus. If you have easy access to it i say go for it!! Its a no brainer.

Few tips if you do run E85:
Just check the tips of your injectors from time to time to make sure your not getting any build up on the tips. If so its a quick easy fix of soaking them in regular ol 87 octane pump gas OR running a tank of pump gas through the engine and they will clean right up, which is what i do. This also cleans any gunk you can get in your intake ports of your intake and cylinder head as well and something id recommend 1-2 times a year. Some get the build up others don't.... Honestly cant answer that one as to why with 100% certainty but even so the price per HP is WELL worth it! And it never hurts to check ethanol content as some places depending on area will lower ethanol content for winter for better cold starts. But even at a minimum of 68-70% ethanol u can still make the power C16 does for a fraction of the cost. I checked my local station just the other day and it was still 79% and we should be in full winter ethanol content by now. I'm in southern Indiana and our E85 stays very close year round here at the Thortons gas stations that sell it around here. Another thing is to not let E85 set in your injectors for months without starting your engine and letting the injectors work as alcohol attracts moister and can rust the insides of injectors if let set long enough. A few weeks is no issue but months on end i wouldn't recommend... Especially if you are in a humid climate where moister is higher.

Thanks for sharing your experience...hang around...I will have a lot of FAST questions soon.
Conrad

Thanks guys... A few questions, what brand 160lb injector do u recommend (low imp) I would like to use a twin in tank fuel pump set up? I currently have a twin intank I believe it's xp pumps? Technically I can just run a single an-8 line for my feed and use my factor 3/8 ine as the return? Just thinking?

I've been tuning with E85 for about 6+ years now and i have tuned MANY engines on it from 1000+HP 4 cylinder to V8s to the 3.8 buick engine. Being a tuner for a shop and tuning for almost 2 decades now i have noticed the same to better performance with E85 then C16 which is 15$ a gallon. E85 doesn't kill your o2 sensors either which is a plus. If you have easy access to it i say go for it!! Its a no brainer.

Few tips if you do run E85:
Just check the tips of your injectors from time to time to make sure your not getting any build up on the tips. If so its a quick easy fix of soaking them in regular ol 87 octane pump gas OR running a tank of pump gas through the engine and they will clean right up, which is what i do. This also cleans any gunk you can get in your intake ports of your intake and cylinder head as well and something id recommend 1-2 times a year. Some get the build up others don't.... Honestly cant answer that one as to why with 100% certainty but even so the price per HP is WELL worth it! And it never hurts to check ethanol content as some places depending on area will lower ethanol content for winter for better cold starts. But even at a minimum of 68-70% ethanol u can still make the power C16 does for a fraction of the cost. I checked my local station just the other day and it was still 79% and we should be in full winter ethanol content by now. I'm in southern Indiana and our E85 stays very close year round here at the Thortons gas stations that sell it around here. Another thing is to not let E85 set in your injectors for months without starting your engine and letting the injectors work as alcohol attracts moister and can rust the insides of injectors if let set long enough. A few weeks is no issue but months on end i wouldn't recommend... Especially if you are in a humid climate where moister is higher.
What did you run for fuel lines/filter on your car? Are you still using a chip or aftermarket computer and what injectors are you using?

What did you run for fuel lines/filter on your car? Are you still using a chip or aftermarket computer and what injectors are you using?

Stock lines with 2 intake modified 255HP Walbro pumps on a pressure/hobbs switch. Using an adjustable TT chip ATM. It's what came with the car and seems to be working well with enough adjustment to get the car where it needs to be right now. Have a modified ECU here and going to 120lb injectors as i have the 80lb injectors maxed out with fuel pressure cranked to where i am at the limit on fuel control with the 6266 at about 26psi now. Looking forward to see what i can get out of this stock bottom end and just an adjustable chip before i switch over to anything else. Car was running 6.90 8th times at about 26-27psi on stock heads and intake with the old trans, converter and turbo which was supposedly a TA63 with fuel to spare.... I have since put the billet 6266 on, CNC champion irons, CNC Champion lower intake, CK full billet trans and PTC 9.5 converter and the modified walbro pumps in which gave the car A LOT more fuel supply over the old twin pump setup it had in it before.

Op I have a double pumper setup like yours and stock lines with 120' injectors and a fast bank to bank. At about 600 rwhp I am out of fuel and from the research I have done i believe it's the stock fuel line, I am going to upgrade to a -8 and use the stock feed as the return. At your power level I would definitely get 160's (I've not seen them in use but Racetronix has a new set that are much more reasonable in price when compared to the other 160's on the market) , turn the power up slow and see if the twin 255's do the job or if an upgrade to the newer 340 lph pumps will be in order.

Edit and I suggest after upgrading the line either putting a very low psi Hobbs switch in for your 2nd pump or just running both all the time.

With 120s i wouldn't think you would be out of fuel due to injector, especially if you have the pump and pressure to support it... What pumps are you running? I found A LOT more fuel in my system when i took the old red devil pumps out.. i think that's what they were called. They wouldn't run over 70psi fuel pressure. I put 2 walbro pumps in tank and modified them by pushing in the relief valves on them so they will run higher pressure without dumping the pressure off after 70-75psi. I also cheat the system by cranking fuel pressure up a lot and find that balance. On my 4 cylinder EVO with a AWD drivetrain that has a decent percentage of hp lose 18-20% to the tires i made 750WHP on the same pumps i have in my buick with 1450cc injectors which are about 138lb injectors and made 800WHP on same pumps but with 2150cc injectors on E85 on 4 TINY little cylinders..... Stock lines on this car as well which are no bigger then the buick lines. I seen many times over the years that the pumps can be the weak link and not the stock lines or injectors. And also that a lot of people wont push inj duty up there to where they will go. I understand wanting to be extra safe though.... I just think 120s with the right fuel supply and pressure to them would do 600WHP EASILY even on stock lines. I've made upper 5s to 600WHP on E85 with quite a few small CI 4 cylinder engines with 960cc injectors which are 91lb on small stock factory lines where we HAVE to run a hobbs pressure switch to turn the 2nd pump on at abut 10psi or it will over run the small return line and fuel pressure jumps up 20psi at idle if both pumps are turned on at the same time.

PS. Without modifying the Walbro 255 high pressure pumps relief valve u wont get near the fuel out of them. This mod makes a world of a difference!!

I don't think I'm out of injector, I think the stock line is restricting at this level of flow.

While the line of your EVO is probably about the same size the newer style lines probably don't have the severe choke points of the GM fittings. Also I don't know what A/F Ratio you were tuning to.

My car was on a very safe tune of about 10.8 ( gas scale, I forget the Lamba number) and before the weather got real chilly my duty cycles were hovering around 100% with 50 psi base pressure.

Walbro 340 255 lph pumps is what I have, I assume you are talking about Red's pumps which refers to Red Armstrong.

Are you from Southern Indiana?

Yep southern IN. And do you have the relief valve pushed in on the 255 pump or is it an inline 255?

Dual in tank pumps, I don't know if the ATR pushed in the relief valves or not but I'm not running enough pressure to make me worry about them opening.

Between your screen name and cars you talked about I thought so, I live in Corydon.

We will have to get together sometime. U live right up the hwy about 20 mins. I know a few people from Corydon as well ;) I can get you in on the dyno anytime if you want to use it to find your fueling issue. Gonna be a bit before they open the tracks around here.

I'll send you a PM "Conversation" and let the OP have his thread back.

Op I have a double pumper setup like yours and stock lines with 120' injectors and a fast bank to bank. At about 600 rwhp I am out of fuel and from the research I have done i believe it's the stock fuel line,
You're right at the edge of your pumps and injectors on E85. I think your feed line contributes the least to your fuel delivery problem. There is some restriction in it,but it's very small. Have you drilled out the four Saginaw fittings in your feed line? The ability of your pumps have been fully realized and higher volume pumps would give you the best bang for your buck. Yes your looking at injectors that are doing a lot of work,but if you send more fuel to them,you could turn the pressure up to buy you some time until you get bigger injectors.Again,I think bigger pumps would help you the most.