Shock question

I thought that was a good price, that's why I posted it. I was going to buy them but I bought a one piece rear spoiler instead so my funds are low at the moment. I can say that with the Monroe Magnums in the car now she rides nice and nothings rattles or shakes. They are somewhat soft which bothers the Ms's who gets motion sickness easily.

Anyone have the KYB part numbers. I was just told my Gas Matics are leaking so I need to swap out soon.

Thanks

You cannot compare the two.

KYB are good shocks

Bilstiens are better shocks.

Either will provide better service than worn out shocks.

I hear ya. My only concern is that I don't want hard and I don't want mushy but there seems to be no middle ground. Never had Bilsteins but they may be worth a try.

I had a set of KYB shocks on my '78 Malibu. I was pleased with them. The car was just a SBC 305 powered cruiser though.

Shocks don't generally change ride height unless they are air shocks, coil-overs, etc.

Usually springs determine ride height. Shocks just dampen the springs oscillation.

That's what I thought. However a GN owner I met at a car show earlier today stated the KYB's raised his car 1/2" with stock springs.

I wished it would have done that with mine. My ride height was exactly the same before and after.

I believe you will really like them a lot.
They have a pretty good gas charge in them. I had to put a small bottle jack under the fronts to compress them to get the lower bolts started, as I could compress them with both hands but couldn't hold them in place with one hand to screw the lower bolts in with the other.
I am genuinely excited for you. Let us know how you like them. George

As long as the wife does not get sea sick in the back seat as she says she does now when my son is up front I will be a happy camper. That was the reason for ALL the questions. I still believe you get what you pay for! In my 71 Skylark I had the KYB's and airbags to keep me on the road and I was too cheap to spring for Bilsteins at the time thinking there was no difference. However, this car seems to be a whole different animal and I believe it needs to be treated differently!

As long as the wife does not get sea sick in the back seat as she says she does now when my son is up front I will be a happy camper. That was the reason for ALL the questions. I still believe you get what you pay for! In my 71 Skylark I had the KYB's and airbags to keep me on the road and I was too cheap to spring for Bilsteins at the time thinking there was no difference. However, this car seems to be a whole different animal and I believe it needs to be treated differently!

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the Bilsteins. I saw this thread and got that price from the Tire Rack and they showed up today!(y)

Good luck. I ended up getting them from Summit for a little less. Let me know if they perform as expected. I very much appreciate all the input. Cost can get kinda crazy with these cars so its always better to put things out there first and see what others have done!

In the end when everything is working right this is one fun car to drive!

OK, shocks came today. Any secrets to making the install a smooth one? They came with no instructions and no bands to keep them compressed. I also noticed they say assembled in USA but it does not indicate where the parts are from.

I would jack up each end, put jack stands under the frame so you have plenty room to maneuver. You can do one end at a time.
Like I mentioned prior, you may have to compress the front shocks with a jack to hold them in place to get the bolts started.
With the rear on jack stands, you will have to support the axle (if you get the shocks off without supporting the axle, it will drop down and the springs may fall out) with a jack and jack up and down to make lining up the new shocks easier.
Good luck, George