Shock question

I'm running the Lakewood 90/10 drag shocks up front and the 50/50 out back . No one else runing drag shocks ?

I would jack up each end, put jack stands under the frame so you have plenty room to maneuver. You can do one end at a time.
Like I mentioned prior, you may have to compress the front shocks with a jack to hold them in place to get the bolts started.
With the rear on jack stands, you will have to support the axle (if you get the shocks off without supporting the axle, it will drop down and the springs may fall out) with a jack and jack up and down to make lining up the new shocks easier.
Good luck, George
Thanks!

OK. So today I got up and began pulling out the Monroe Gas Matics. Started with the drivers side front and snapped the lower mounting clip when I began to install the Bilstein. Seems the prior shock installation cross threaded things a bit. As I could not get the new shock fully installed and had no lift I had to go to the local shop for some TLC. Three hours later and after many other bolts or mounts snapping all is good but at a cost of $150. ALL 4 of the Gas Matics were dead. The new ride is awesome and besides having to have someone else finish what I started all is good. I am initially impressed with the ride. Hope these shocks at least last for awhile as even the shop commented on the sporty ride compared to four dead corners. I am curious as to why all of the Monroe shocks leaked their oil/gas.

One odd note is that the front shocks did not come with a dust shield but all the shocks come with poly bushings . I contacted Bilstein regarding the odd mounting of the front shocks on top and inquired about the shield to learn that's how they come.

You will rarely regret buying the best.

Sometimes having a shop do the work is worth every penny.

Today it was! If I only had a lift!!!!!!!!!
At least they did not hit me over the head with some crazy price. They understood my frustration and I thought their price was fair all things considered. Its nice when people do the right thing to generate more business.

Last edited:
Update. No more floating over bumps and dips but I do notice that the car is now very busy over such surfaces as pavers or rough roads. I now have rattles and squeaks that I did not had before. My wife loves the stiffer ride which is a good thing but I think the ride is just as busy as when I installed KYB's in my 71 Skylark. That aside, the car handles 100% better than it did before is more predictable and definitely has more of a sporty / firm ride.

Update. No more floating over bumps and dips but I do notice that the car is now very busy over such surfaces as pavers or rough roads. I now have rattles and squeaks that I did not had before. My wife loves the stiffer ride which is a good thing but I think the ride is just as busy as when I installed KYB's in my 71 Skylark. That aside, the car handles 100% better than it did before is more predictable and definitely has more of a sporty / firm ride.

Do you have any of the chassis braces installed ?

rear seat X brace

After I changed my shocks that were "toast ", I noticed the same thing. I installed the Sc&c front triangular brace and the UMI rear shock tower brace. You might want to consider those. Both relatively easy installs. Got rid of a lot of squeaks. I don't have the back seat x brace yet.