shifts are not very firm

good points don/i have also found that oil overheated from the converters poor attempt at transferring power results in a darker red oil with TRANSPARENCY.transparent oil with particles not dispersed or suspended in it is a good indicator of this condition.metallic or grey dust is another story.i suggest testing by blocking 1/2 accumulator and road testing.this would have to firm up the shift.

How do you suggest I block the 1- 2 accumulator?

The oil is clear. Yes there is some gray matter at the bottom of the pan, but over all the oil is clear.

I was going to try to torque converter test last night when I accidentally crached an oil gauge line - can't ride till I fix that. Tomorrow.

ATF will develop a different smell depending on the problem with the trans/converter. Burned friction elements have a different smell than fluid overheated by a torque converter.

Not to threadjack, but do burned friction elements smell sort of like melting plastic?

My trans fluid has a unique smell. I've smelled and seen 'burned' (brown) fluid before, but this is different. Fluid looks fine.

Thanks,
Jim

Not to threadjack, but do burned friction elements smell sort of like melting plastic?

My trans fluid has a unique smell. I've smelled and seen 'burned' (brown) fluid before, but this is different. Fluid looks fine.

Thanks,
Jim

Sorry Jim, I've never tried to compare ATF smells to other smells. It's been a long time since I've burned plastic models to make falling fire balls.

When you've seen enough damaged transmissions, the different smells start to stick with you. Luckily, you don't come across severly overheated fluid caused by the T/C very often. It is a very nasty smell.

Well, we seem to have a problem. Torque converter rumbles/vibrates as it engages. Might as well drop everything - open it up and inspect the frictions.