Shifting Problems In High Mileage Trans.

SIX2GO

I just purchased an '86 t-type with 121k miles on the engine. I am the 4th owner of the car. The previous owner did not know if the trans. has been rebuilt (he had the car for 2 years) but the only mods. to the engine are a set of green stripe (30 lb.) injectors and an ATR fuel pump with a hot-wire kit. The trans. shifted fine when I first got the car last week. However, it has a shifting problem that has slowly gotten worse and seemed to hit it's peak today. The car must turn a lot of RPM's before shifting from 1 to 2 and then I must lift off the throttle slightly to get it to shift. This is at part throttle driving not a WOT run. I checked the TV cable tension and it seems slightly higher when I began to pull it out than when I pulled it to it's limit. Does this sound like a TV spring problem? Should I check the govenor spring also? I have made minor (2-5 clicks) adjustments in the TV cable that did not help. I am going to try a max TV adjustment tomorrow to see if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bobby

Hmmm.

Checking the governor spring would be a good start. It'll also give you an opportunity to change the fluid/filter and assess the condition of the transmission by viewing the inside of the pan.