shift point for 212/212

1980monteturbo

Turbowtie
I have a 212/212 flat tappet hyd cam in a relatively stock motor ( turbo inj i/c ). Anyone who used this cam know where the sweet spot is I should shift at? I've only been to the track 3 times and left it in D ( ~ 5000rpm ) with the new motor. Powerplate is to be installed as soon snow melts. Also , I hope to try locking converter on a couple of runs.
thanks.
SS.

Still curious

Update
I found out the operating range is 1400-5500 according to comp cams tech info. Im still curious what other folks using the 260H have found to be the best shift points for good ETs/mph. Anybody...

I just finished running some sims for a fella using that cam and 5,900 to 6,000 rpm looked good for the shift point.

I just finished running some sims for a fella using that cam and 5,900 to 6,000 rpm looked good for the shift point.

Thanks Don.

Wow, Im going to have to let it sing another octave higher.

Was his setup similar to my sig ( stock more or less ), or does it matter much on the combo?

BTW, love your car.

Steve.

Stock short block, Champion heads, 62-1 turbo, larger intercooler, larger injectors, ATR headers.

if your sig is your combo you dont want to rev much past 5k with raised boost on those stock injectors

if your sig is your combo you dont want to rev much past 5k with raised boost on those stock injectors

Thanks for tip. I'll try experimenting higher rpms on pump first . Cant wait for track to open in April.

Sounds like injector upgrade is my next go fast mod.

I have a 212/212 flat tappet hyd cam in a relatively stock motor ( turbo inj i/c ). Anyone who used this cam know where the sweet spot is I should shift at? I've only been to the track 3 times and left it in D ( ~ 5000rpm ) with the new motor. Powerplate is to be installed as soon snow melts. Also , I hope to try locking converter on a couple of runs.
thanks.
SS.
That i sway to much cam for the stock turbo and engine. It should be shifted at 5800-5900 with a set of good heads, a 66 or larger turbo, and a 3000 stall. Mine goes well over 6000 on a quarter run in 3rd. A larger turbo and 25-30 psi of boost would be your next step, but you really need some good heads to really take advantage. Locking wont help much as the turbo will be out of breath where that cam really starts to make great power. When i run mine the rpm on shifts never goes below 5100 on shifts and it sling shots the car hard. It would be very hard to get this effect with the stock turbo blowing all that hot air at over 5000 rpm. I ran the 212-212 with a PT 54 and the same heads on my car now and went 6.70@102.9 in the eighth. At the point you are at now you would be quicker with the stock cam believe it or not.

That i sway to much cam for the stock turbo and engine. It should be shifted at 5800-5900 with a set of good heads, a 66 or larger turbo, and a 3000 stall.

Well, heres the coles notes story, bought used LC2 (stock), had wiped cam, seller owed me a running motor, offered a rebuilt at his cost. Knowing my goals are 10's - the 260h was suggested. Tah dah. I have a big cam. ( check page 2 on my "pics and stuff" ) I may be a little ahead of myself with cam but wont be for long. I see bunch of guys here running low 12s with stock'ish combos . Once I'm there I'll look into bigger and badder mods. FYI - 13.3/101 at 5k shifts on 94 pump 16# 1.8x/60' on 225's. Good or Bad ?:confused: - u tell me. This is with a newbe driving too ( me ), installing Powerplate in spring.
Intresting note on comp cams web page for the 260h is that its a good replacement for gn's. The other cams listed have recommended mods to compliment that grind.
So, Im all ears , on paper ( comp cams )- its ok, on forums - too big for current combo. Anyone else with " bin there done it' comments. Im sucking it all in like a sponge. Thanks.:)

Well, heres the coles notes story, bought used LC2 (stock), had wiped cam, seller owed me a running motor, offered a rebuilt at his cost. Knowing my goals are 10's - the 260h was suggested. Tah dah. I have a big cam. ( check page 2 on my "pics and stuff" ) I may be a little ahead of myself with cam but wont be for long. I see bunch of guys here running low 12s with stock'ish combos . Once I'm there I'll look into bigger and badder mods. FYI - 13.3/101 at 5k shifts on 94 pump 16# 1.8x/60' on 225's. Good or Bad ?:confused: - u tell me. This is with a newbe driving too ( me ), installing Powerplate in spring.
Intresting note on comp cams web page for the 260h is that its a good replacement for gn's. The other cams listed have recommended mods to compliment that grind.
So, Im all ears , on paper ( comp cams )- its ok, on forums - too big for current combo. Anyone else with " bin there done it' comments. Im sucking it all in like a sponge. Thanks.:)
Your numbers are typical for a good tune on a basically stock engine at 16psi. Were not sure exactly about your shift rpm because of the factory tach. Id bet your shifting earlier than 5000. Youll be growing into the cam for a while. Id go for alky injection, a big turbo and a 9" converter next. You will need to crank it up with the stock heads to 25+psi to get the mph you need to run 10's.

Your numbers are typical for a good tune on a basically stock engine at 16psi. Were not sure exactly about your shift rpm because of the factory tach. Id bet your shifting earlier than 5000. Youll be growing into the cam for a while. Id go for alky injection, a big turbo and a 9" converter next. You will need to crank it up with the stock heads to 25+psi to get the mph you need to run 10's.
Good to know e.t./mph is ok with current setup although I feel a 12 is possible (on pump) with tuning and tips i picked up on the forums ( ie 5900 rpms). Plans for alky are the next 'best bang for buck' mod . Once I get a handle on tuning I will eventually upgrade as suggested for 10s.
Thanks for recommendations and cam comments.