Shift kits..Trans-go vs. B&M ??

workinonit

87 Astro roof GN
I'd like to put a mild street shift kit in my 87 GN. I have seen the trans-go and B & M kits on various websites. Just wondering if any members have used either one of these and what your experiences and recommendations are.

Basically just looking to get a firmer 1-2, 2-3 shift.

Lonnie, Chris, Brian are the guy's who can answer this the best, they might even know or use something better than the generic "Shift Kit" imo. Experience is the best teacher in most cases.

Kevin.

I'd like to put a mild street shift kit in my 87 GN. I have seen the trans-go and B & M kits on various websites. Just wondering if any members have used either one of these and what your experiences and recommendations are.

Basically just looking to get a firmer 1-2, 2-3 shift.

PM Sent, the B&M would be the best choice of all kits available for what you are looking for, or at least until you rebuild......I explained why in my PM

I would use the trans go kit.The B and M is poorly engineered.There really isnt throttle sensitive shift calibration with there "kit".If you want a kit that is properly engineered ,adjustable,and has been used more than anything else available over the last 5 years go here. www.CKPerformance.com
This kit completely cleans up a good working transmission,and greatly extends its service life.It is constantly updated and was developed for the Turbo Regal.

The last time I used a B&M for a customer the kit was a PR spring, 4 blockers for the accumulators, a drill bit, VB gaskets, filter. Not really an "engineered" kit. Just makes it shift hard and not really fast. Hard breaks things and fast cuts down on heat build up. No throttle rise control engineered into it. I would go with CK's kit over either of those. I have used the TransGo kit and had throttle valve sticking problems with too high of pressure. CK's kit is awesome.

Some like the B&M kit, I don't know why. :confused: I have driven a car that had it installed. Hard banging shifts at all throttle positions.:eek: TransGo is engineered better than B&M. CK's is more refined & updated from what everyone says.

Just wanted to mention trans-go has two kits for the 200-4r. They have a shift kit and reprogramming kit. Not sure how each one differs in shift quality?

I think they have 4. SK2004R, SK2004RHP & 2004RHD2 is the reprogramming kit, PSK2004R = reprogramming kit with video.

I would still go with the CK kit. Used it and had nothing but "works awesome" and "it has never been this good" from a couple customers. The TransGo gave some problems with higher line pressure and taking off in 2nd on a few occasions. This was with the more comprehensive TG kit. The little kit was just like a minor kit that had corrections and was not really for the more positive shift of a serious car. The B&M kit that was almost $100 was the harsher shifter at all throttle positions. CK's kit is a fast shifting kit that doesn't bang at low throttle positions and snap your neck at higher. Just a super positive shift as throttle pressure rises but never harsh like it is going to throw the driveshaft out. Just my experiences from over the last 21 years and recent findings (CK). :)

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I've never ran either as a shift kit in a 200-4R.

I have had both in a TH350 however.

The B&M made the TH350 bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and chirp them on the 2-3 shift.

While it sounded cool and I thought it was cool I was advised by a trans tech that those tire barking shifts were really bad. I was also advised that the B&M kits sort of "half assed" firmed up the shifts by blocking off the accumulator and such. The B&M kit was the separator plates and check balls and gaskets.

Next kit I had was a Trans Go. Instead of blocking off accumulators and such it replaced the springs for the valves inside the valve body.

It didn't chirp tires or anything crazy like that but it did give a nice firm shift in all gears. Not the harsh "jerk your fillings out of your head" shifts.

Yet I see so many cars for sale where the owner will brag about how "man this thing will bark tires for half a city block".

It's my belief the B&M kits are the redneck's shift kit....for when you don't care if your trans blows up, as long as you have them cool neck snapping shifts. Sort of like glass packs. Heck maybe B&M shift kits and glass packs on the old pickem up truck are for beer belly Billy Bob???

I am in the market for a good shift kit for my 200-4R. Not sure who I'll go with but I don't think I'll chance it with B&M.

I use a modified TransGo SK 200-4R, which is not a performance kit by design. TransGo designs these kits to correct common issues (stuck TV valve, poor line rise, etc).

I add the larger boost valves, drill the feed holes to something similar to what TransGo uses for their Reporgramming kit (which is a performance type kit) and I do mods to the plate for 3rd gear.

The setup I use works great, and in the future I'll probably be using CK's plate because it will save me time on the build and have a nice new plate.

That said,
I've installed th CK kit in several customers builds who bought all their parts from Chris, and have driven them and the CK kit is without a doubt the best kit on the market right now.

The 2nd best is the TransGo Reprogramming Kit.

I use the SK because I am using limited parts from the kit and don't need a kit that includes boost valves since I buy them in bulk.

Jake

Back about 12 years ago, friends used to want the trans that would bark on every shift. My wife came up with the valve body kit name "Whiplash" for my kits. I never gave warranty with those installed as the internals wound up with extra endplay after a year or so. I don't like the shifts like that as you leave a stoplight and and scratch 2nd and the cop behind you gives you a ticket for "loss of control" or "exhibition driving". Not good when you are taking it easy.

I appreciate the fact that you guys enjoy the kits and they work well.This pushes me to develop the parts even further.

I got to give you a plug here Chris for the stage2 trans you did for me...works awesome and was what I wanted. Good firm quick shifting and if you get a bit aggressive it reacts accordingly with barking the meats. Well done. :D