Series II L67 Grand National??!!??

The tranny adapter is available from speedway motors for less than $100 and as far as putting everything together, put a Stage II cam in it with a stock timing cover so you can install the cam sensor so it will work with most of the stock parts.;) You do need to get a custom converter for the tranny and some custom work for the headers but if you know how to fabricate it won't cost that much.:cool: This is a viable upgrade but is limited to the crank, but there are aftermarket forged units out there as well as forged rods and pistons.:D

Ryan, i agree. I used to work in a racing transmission shop and remember all the fiddling with governors for shift rpm. That could be a pain to get right. I thinka lot of members woukd feel better when its proven a 4l60e lives a long life behind a stout 231.

Your project is ambitious, but i believe doable. It woukd make an awesome buick equal to modern cars in most every way. I thought our h body was ambitious. I cant wait to get started on it again. I am in lima peru now, but am back in the states in a week and then soon back to our sunbird project. Cant wait, just itching to hear the difference between 109 block and heads and series 2 block and heads to know what i have to work with. No 109's here to measure, lol. Soon though. I just would like to make 450 rwhp in a 2600 lb car. That ought to go pretty good
Jay

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The tranny adapter is available from speedway motors for less than $100 and as far as putting everything together, put a Stage II cam in it with a stock timing cover so you can install the cam sensor so it will work with most of the stock parts.;) You do need to get a custom converter for the tranny and some custom work for the headers but if you know how to fabricate it won't cost that much.:cool: This is a viable upgrade but is limited to the crank, but there are aftermarket forged units out there as well as forged rods and pistons.:D

I have yet to see a 3800 crank be a limiting factor on any high power car, nor have I seen a stock rod be damaged due to power. The pistons however, those are the current limiting factor. There are now a couple viable options out there as far as pistons though.

Sang man looks like it belongs! I was I had some way of mounting a block into one cause there would be to of these floaten around. I just don't have the tools to be modifying mounts.

RunninShine231 said:
excellent thread am surpried we arent lining up to do this swap. can only imagine driveability improvements, she must be a diffrent animal.. WE ARE ALL WAITING TO SEE YOU TURN IT UP

That's what I'm talking about. Cheap ass engine that performs like a monster. We need a kit for this swap!

xXch0dyXx said:
I have yet to see a 3800 crank be a limiting factor on any high power car, nor have I seen a stock rod be damaged due to power. The pistons however, those are the current limiting factor. There are now a couple viable options out there as far as pistons though.

What's the limit on the pistons? I thought i saw 8's on a stock short block...fwd to boot.

What's the limit on the pistons? I thought i saw 8's on a stock short block...fwd to boot.

The guys that went 8's had forged pistons. There are plenty of guys in the 10s with stock pistons, but they are not pleasant on a turbo setup if you see any KR at all with that kind of power. The pistons are very prone to fragging on the top dish right at the ring. Only a couple aftermarket options out there for them... I have yet to try the diamond pistons due to horror stories. My plan is to build my old block(that fragged a piston in my 98 GS) with the JE pistons that came out not too long ago.

The DP got the boost under control finally. Going to get more tuning done to dial it in with the billet wheel, and get to the track at around 21psi next month if all goes well.

Cool man and there is a demand for the swap read on other boards and even a few s10 ones.

Next time I am in IN I am going to have to check this out Cody. I am seriously thinking about copying you!

first fit
0505081526.jpg

complete except for IC tubing. i havent taken a completed pic yet, i will try to get one today
0625082032.jpg

here are a couple teaser idling vids

I know this is old but... I canNOT figure out what that is bolted to your heads. What L67 came with THAT intake manifold? I'm lost.

L67's were the training aids in my upper and lower engine class, along with me having a modded one in my Regal GS, and I can vouch for how absolutely stout they are. Like the others have said, the pistons are the only factor-you'll NEVER break the rods or crank in one of these. Ever. The only thing you'll ruin is the valves, head gaskets or pistons if you're under WOT with super lean conditions and/or insufficient octane. Had a classmate build an L67 from the ground up, then put a 2.8 or so pulley on it (which is super small in our applications) with no meth or high octane and blew through a piston on the freeway within a week's time. Other than that, if your tune's on, you'll blow thru 25 transmissions, 43 cv axles, and 40 passenger side front tires before you ever put any appreciable wear on a nice L67.
I'd be willing to wager, of course if everythings set up right, that not only will you best every record that a factory 109 block has, but your car will rust out around that engine before you need to replace something in it.